Announcments
  • REALIST NEWS: Where you don't have to worry about drama. No Spam posts and STAY ON TOPIC. This is an important news website.

When posting content located on some other website, please post no more than 20% of their content and always provide a link. Also, Multiple forum handles/IDs are NOT permitted.
If you see a spam post please click the "Report" button on that specific post. Also, what I don't want on my forum is name calling and cussing at people or direct insults. Thanks

Poll: Will silver be worth anything in war or on doomsday ?
Yea we will live as kings
Nope, you can´t eat it, therefore nobody will want it
It will be worth the same, or just a little more
I have no clue .. please, I´m dying to know!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
So, what does silver actually pay for ? In doomsday scenarios
06-14-2016, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2016 10:54 PM by 2D4.)
In the good tradition of Realist News, I feel it´s important to favor historic experience or empiric evidence over speculation, one of the reasons we feel drawn to silver any ways! A recent reply I posted made me think and made me want to ask you this question: What do we know so far about the reality of silver being used as a barter in emergency slash apocalyptic scenarios ? What did people do in WW2 or WW1 or in any other wars regarding silver and gold ? Were they able to buy anything with it ? and how much was it worth in these circumstances ? Meaning, what exactly could you get for an ounce of silver ?

If anyone has any stories to tell or historic information that can teach us what precious metals are actually worth when the fan gets hit, that would serve really well! Opinions are offcourse also welcome, but I´d appreciate actual accounts, so we know that how it once went down may be comparable to how things will work in reality. I will repost the reply that inspired this question below and it´s interresting to know if the people in Venuzuela indeed are or are not able to buy anything with silver and gold! I´m sure most of you will agree with me, all your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

(06-14-2016 07:09 AM)2D4 Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 02:47 AM)Thinker Wrote:  

Good points Jsnip, absolutely , what I would be really interested to know tho is, can people in Venezuela buy anything with silver right now ? Or if I was to go there, could I do anything with a few silver ounces ? Maybe someone knows or has heard first hand experiences with that ? Are people over there buying things with gold and silver and if so, how does that work ? what is it worth in these conditions and who determines that ? Really really curious to hear anyones thoughts on this ! Not to appear coldhearted, I feel for the venezuelan people

and I pray this is not another cia ploy, like they did with Khadaffi, following the media propaganda even here in the EU, all you hear is how he was a lunatic, as if that makes it okay to publicly gut someone. Thinker is right, propaganda certainly exists, here in Holland too, it´s appalling

2D4, proud member of Realist News since Apr 2013.

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2016, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2016 11:03 PM by 2D4.)
RE: So, what does silver actually pay for ?
The reason I ask this is, everyone can scream to buy silver to have something of value when it all comes tumbling down but is there any evidence that gold and silver will be worth anything then ? As people need water, shelter and food, will they give those things up for a piece of metal to which no official value will be assigned, remember, the internet will also be down. So I just wonder, who will give up anything for an ounce of silver and if they do, how will people agree what it´s worth ? I hope these are not stupid questions, but I really don´t think so !!

Just imagine you feeling all safe and prepared with your 500 ounces of silver and nobody wants it .. that would be kind of a bummer wouldn´t it. Who needs silver in war time ? To wear and make jewelry ? .. not in a festive mood sorry .. For industrial purposes ? all of them closed as of lately. Maybe as money , yes, but only if everyone agrees on it´s inherent value, and that´s what I´m trying to find out.

I heard that in WW2 and precious stones were very scarce , so many handmade trinkets and pendants were beset with less expensive gemstones like Amethist and rosequartz, set in gold and silver, something that would normally be considered a waste. So apparently the silver and gold wasn´t that hard to come by ? Then again, the goverment printed money out of zinc and aluminium and other cheap metals, seemingly having a deficient supply

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
06-25-2016, 08:19 PM
RE: So, what does silver actually pay for ? In doomsday scenarios
No answers .. no one seems to have any thoughts to share on the reality of what your silver will do for you when the world breaks down, it´s a little dissapointing .. I would like to suggest it´s kind of important you guys. Like the single reason you are even buying silver, hoping it will do something for you when the shelves run out of food

Just saying

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
06-25-2016, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2016 11:12 PM by Fiat Facade.)
Well, I do know what WON'T be worth anything:

- US dollars (maybe hold some value after a collapse, but not for very long)
- Bitcoin (no electricity, no bitcoin)

Since PMs have been money and a store of wealth for over 5000 years, and don't need electricity to function, I'll stick with these.

I believe in having water/food storage, weapons and ammo stockpile before PMs though. I believe ammo will someday be worth more than gold... buy it by the case while it's cheap and still available.

"When you see the world die, only then will you understand how real I was" - Charles Manson
06-26-2016, 01:41 AM
(06-25-2016 08:19 PM)2D4 Wrote:  No answers .. no one seems to have any thoughts to share on the reality of what your silver will do for you when the world breaks down, it´s a little dissapointing .. I would like to suggest it´s kind of important you guys. Like the single reason you are even buying silver, hoping it will do something for you when the shelves run out of food

Just saying

Everyone who is SMART about this actually DIVERSIFIES their investments. A little gold/silver, a little food, a little ammo.

Silver for me is mainly an investment and a secure wealth storage. I HOPE nothing horrible happens and I can just cash out a third of my silver when it costs three times what I bought it for.

THE END IS NIGH
06-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Fiat Facade and Fleck, that is wisdom you guys .. I think the same thing. Since there have been wars all through history I was hoping to find accounts of people who have experienced these type of scenarios to learn what actually happens when you try to buy something with your silver in war time.

Unfortunately weapons are prohibited in Holland .. I cannot get anything here, and certainly not cheaply

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
07-03-2016, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2016 11:52 AM by Altair Zielite.)
Silver is only 25% of my apocalypse motto, which is:
"Beans, Bullion, Bullets, and Band-aids."

The whole "B" thing is just a catchy bumper-sticker, but
I try to look at the whole taxonomy of shizah that can go wrong
and plan accordingly. Bullion is a strategic step along the path
of a particular and likely spectrum of forthcoming events.

Timing is everything, keep preparing, stay alert, and do
what you gotta do when the conditions dictate.

http://www.facebook.com/AntiMainstreamMedia
07-04-2016, 05:38 AM
(07-03-2016 09:24 PM)Altair Zielite Wrote:  Silver is only 25% of my apocalypse motto, which is:
"Bean, Bullion, Bullets, and Band-aids."

I try to look at the whole taxonomy of ***** that can go wrong

That is excellent advice, silver is a difficult item anyways .. I get annoyed with many things, like stained bullion, that is now difficult to sell on ebay. Coins missing from the online order, had that twice , ridiculous premiums and shipping costs and taxes, but the same sellers only wanting to pay spot price for the rarest coins ever when they buy from you, which means you will have to sell each coin individually on ebay, good luck with that when the internet is down. And the local coin shop does that same, offer me spot price for my handsome numistmatics. Mintage info hard to find online, shops online have prices all over the place, making it hard to decide where to buy .. because you do not want to pay shipping costs 3 times over, so you end up comparing prices for hours, only to find out that over the last 2 hours silver has gone up another dollar again .. Nobody sane you know in actual life shares your silver passion and you do not dare to tell them either afraid of being seen as a weirdo, or someone robbing your silver stack. And then, last but not least, you started buying silver to ´prepare´ but you do not actually know how people will react in war time, when you try to buy something, -anything- with your silver ounce .. and if they will accept it as payment and what it will be worth .. nobody seems to have a clue how that will work and frankly, that surprises me. Surely there have been wars and bad times before on this planet,. and silver has been around for the longest time too, so why can we not learn from that experience ?! why are we left guessing when our ancestors have been in that situation time and time again ? That is why I posed this question and may I just remark that everyone seems to say ´´Just hope for the best´´ but no one actually has any idea .. I just find that very , very odd

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
07-18-2016, 07:29 PM
I found a video by Jsnip4 that deals with actual accounts of people hustling and surviving in war times. Thank you , that was exactly what I was looking for, something to give me an idea of the value of silver and gold in these conditions. It makes sense that you say, you would not actually barter with the silver, but sell it beforehand to stock up on things. This is the video

My mother told me that her mother told her about how things went down in war times. She said that gold silver and jewelry were not worthless and you could certainly buy things with them, but people that had eggs, meat, tobacco, coffee , anything like that, mostly farmers, would ask ridiculous prices for these items, like an ounce of gold for a few eggs or a piece of canned ham, so in actuality , gold and silver are worth LESS in war time, you cannot buy as much with them as you can now. food and supplies are worth that much more. So if you are stacking for safety, and hoping you will be a silver millionaire in war time, maybe reconsider that

Experience beats speculation everytime, it´s better to know in advance

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
07-21-2016, 05:30 AM
Time To Get Rid Of War!
08-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Currently, as of this writing, it will buy 6 months worth of food. Supposedly one single ounce will.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/jsnip4

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." -George Orwell
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2016, 03:04 PM
(06-14-2016 09:40 PM)2D4 Wrote:  In the good tradition of Realist News, I feel it´s important to favor historic experience or empiric evidence over speculation, one of the reasons we feel drawn to silver any ways! A recent reply I posted made me think and made me want to ask you this question: What do we know so far about the reality of silver being used as a barter in emergency slash apocalyptic scenarios ? What did people do in WW2 or WW1 or in any other wars regarding silver and gold ? Were they able to buy anything with it ? and how much was it worth in these circumstances ? Meaning, what exactly could you get for an ounce of silver ?

If anyone has any stories to tell or historic information that can teach us what precious metals are actually worth when the fan gets hit, that would serve really well! Opinions are offcourse also welcome, but I´d appreciate actual accounts, so we know that how it once went down may be comparable to how things will work in reality. I will repost the reply that inspired this question below and it´s interresting to know if the people in Venuzuela indeed are or are not able to buy anything with silver and gold! I´m sure most of you will agree with me, all your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

(06-14-2016 07:09 AM)2D4 Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 02:47 AM)Thinker Wrote:  

Good points Jsnip, absolutely , what I would be really interested to know tho is, can people in Venezuela buy anything with silver right now ? Or if I was to go there, could I do anything with a few silver ounces ? Maybe someone knows or has heard first hand experiences with that ? Are people over there buying things with gold and silver and if so, how does that work ? what is it worth in these conditions and who determines that ? Really really curious to hear anyones thoughts on this ! Not to appear coldhearted, I feel for the venezuelan people

and I pray this is not another cia ploy, like they did with Khadaffi, following the media propaganda even here in the EU, all you hear is how he was a lunatic, as if that makes it okay to publicly gut someone. Thinker is right, propaganda certainly exists, here in Holland too, it´s appalling

For first hand experience, talk to Fernando, YouTUBE/MODERNSURVIVALIST
He lived in Argentina when it crashed. He's got some good insight.
Cheers

sarge2727, proud member of Realist News since Aug 2016.
08-08-2016, 03:23 PM
(07-04-2016 05:38 AM)2D4 Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 09:24 PM)Altair Zielite Wrote:  Silver is only 25% of my apocalypse motto, which is:
"Bean, Bullion, Bullets, and Band-aids."

I try to look at the whole taxonomy of ***** that can go wrong

That is excellent advice, silver is a difficult item anyways .. I get annoyed with many things, like stained bullion, that is now difficult to sell on ebay. Coins missing from the online order, had that twice , ridiculous premiums and shipping costs and taxes, but the same sellers only wanting to pay spot price for the rarest coins ever when they buy from you, which means you will have to sell each coin individually on ebay, good luck with that when the internet is down. And the local coin shop does that same, offer me spot price for my handsome numistmatics. Mintage info hard to find online, shops online have prices all over the place, making it hard to decide where to buy .. because you do not want to pay shipping costs 3 times over, so you end up comparing prices for hours, only to find out that over the last 2 hours silver has gone up another dollar again .. Nobody sane you know in actual life shares your silver passion and you do not dare to tell them either afraid of being seen as a weirdo, or someone robbing your silver stack. And then, last but not least, you started buying silver to ´prepare´ but you do not actually know how people will react in war time, when you try to buy something, -anything- with your silver ounce .. and if they will accept it as payment and what it will be worth .. nobody seems to have a clue how that will work and frankly, that surprises me. Surely there have been wars and bad times before on this planet,. and silver has been around for the longest time too, so why can we not learn from that experience ?! why are we left guessing when our ancestors have been in that situation time and time again ? That is why I posed this question and may I just remark that everyone seems to say ´´Just hope for the best´´ but no one actually has any idea .. I just find that very , very odd

I can see your point of view. Here's what I see. You talk of the value of silver in "war times". If you used that term (war times), it indicates that it was the prevalent underlying premise in your thought process.There is a big difference between war times and hard times. In war times, daily, no, minute by minute survival is at stake. In hard times you don't have that external (bombs, invaders etc) threat/stress. That makes a huge difference on how people interact and operate on a daily basis. I would rather have 100 oz of Ag to trade, even if I am being ripped off (value-wise) than hold cash that has lost ALL of it's value. Think about this; (It's SHTF time) You have resources (land, meat, drink etc) someone comes your way and wants some of your goods. They're willing to give you 3oz of Ag for a bread, couple of eggs and some milk. Now same offer but they're going to give you $60 dollras (paper dollars). Which offer would YOU accept? Remember it's SHTF time.
I think that 5000 yrs of history has shown that no matter what fiat currency we use it dies. However, Ag and Au survive.
Keep stacking! (and NOT pankakes at IHOP!!!!)
LMAO Cheers

sarge2727, proud member of Realist News since Aug 2016.
08-09-2016, 02:49 AM
Altair Zielite , Jsnip and others, It´s good to have this discussion and I found that other people also have different ideas about the reality for silver in such an event (attachments below) I don´t think there is much difference between war or other disasters, things are going to be scarce either way, take Venezuela for example.

I read the headlines of Zerohedge etc saying one ounce of silver will buy you 6 months of food in Venezuela at the moment. This is A VERY interesting statement so let´s see if that is actually true! If you were to go there with your ounce, what would it buy you ? I looked up the silver spotprice for Venezuela which is 130.000 VEB (Venezuela Bolivar) and ca 10.000 bolivar is 1 dollar, that means over there one ounce of silver is worth 13 dollars. I´m gonna make uninformed guesses here but I assume that is because there simply is not a lot of demand for silver in Venezuela right now. It seems the reality is they are interested in dollars and in FOOD, food is so scarce that you will pay top dollar for a sack of rice or anything nutricious, and you cannot buy these items with silver directly (so I´ve read) So you will have to exchange the silver ounce for 13 dollars or 130.000 Bolivar and buy food with that. The problem is that food is worth so much more than money that you will not even get that much for it, certainly not 6 months worth of food, in my opinion. You would have gotten that deal if food prices had stayed the same as before, but they have gone up too much. This is something to keep in mind if SHTF in any way over here or in the US, it will likely work exactly the same, people with food will be king, not the dudes with barter items, guns and ammo for trade or silver or gold. I think silver will do exactly what it´s supposed to do: it will hedge, the silver will be worth exactly what it used to be worth before the crisis, say 20 dollars or so, no more and no less, which is not a bad performance in comparison to paper money at all! But if you want to be rich, buy foods and clean water and things people need. I could be wrong about all this .. just my speculation, I´d love to hear what y´all think!

Ps, someone with a brain larger then mine please explain how it´s possible that silver is cheaper than, in fact far below, spot price in Venezuela!?

This makes for interesting reading:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/06/08/ven...ible-prep/

Here you need to scroll a little and read the discussion in the comments:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-04...hs-food-ve

I will definately check out that guy from argentina, kudos

EGO SUPERSTES VOS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silver whoa!! Lindsey Williams 100% correct on warning razzle34dazzle 41 11,191 01-24-2017 05:41 PM
Last Post: mcetcher
  SILVER BOTTOM IS IN !!! RudyBouwman 3 2,275 12-17-2016 11:27 AM
Exclamation Trump HAS WON THE ELECTION Markets down. Gold up silver up :) It was Predicted etuHad4 1 1,725 12-01-2016 02:35 PM
Last Post: snippythehorse
  Silver when it was 50$ an ounce 2D4 1 1,224 08-28-2016 06:07 AM
Last Post: 2D4
  Keep your eyes on silver. Sufian1977 1 1,327 07-29-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: Fiat Facade
  GOLD/SILVER PRICES HIDDEN!?! PITBOSS 3 1,755 07-12-2016 09:12 AM
Last Post: Fiat Facade
Lightbulb Saint Komas greek prophecies - Silver will be worthless ? 2D4 0 1,256 07-06-2016 09:22 PM
  Sweden’s Largest Gold and Silver Dealer’s Bank Accounts Closed, Shut Out of Banking Arctic 0 1,347 07-03-2016 05:17 PM
Last Post: Arctic
Question Dollar to silver ratio slip up on debt clock? what do you think? 2D4 3 1,992 06-23-2016 06:30 PM
  Gold & Silver Demand Skyrockets as “Chinese Floor” Ensures Upward Price Moves Thinker 3 1,545 05-17-2016 02:56 AM
Last Post: Thinker
  Iceland Will Create Its Own Money - What Nations will follow with Gold & Silver? Thinker 3 1,577 04-26-2016 06:00 PM
  Get you Gold and Silver. I keep on telling but few listen. NickNick 8 2,958 04-19-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: NickNick
  silver broke $16 razzle34dazzle 3 1,596 04-14-2016 04:00 PM
  Reuters oops, reveals 100% silver manipulation. Altair Zielite 3 2,510 03-14-2016 05:32 AM
  Canadian Bullion Dealer Offers To Pay Interest On Gold And Silver Arctic 3 1,485 02-26-2016 10:52 AM
  The Silver Economy: A Conspiracy Parable mcetcher 0 1,154 02-02-2016 05:14 PM
  WEBBOT MISS! BTC Breaks Back Below $408 - Silver Price DROPPED mcetcher 2 1,600 01-17-2016 08:30 PM
  2015 breaks silver bullion demand records yet again! silversurfer 0 1,372 12-10-2015 06:35 AM
Last Post: silversurfer
  Why are silver mines even trying to meet demand? Altair Zielite 0 1,209 12-03-2015 07:24 PM
Last Post: Altair Zielite
  Perth Mint Sells 3.5 Million 1 oz. Silver Kangaroos in 1 Day silversurfer 0 1,651 10-05-2015 06:13 AM
Last Post: silversurfer