Announcments
  • REALIST NEWS: Where you don't have to worry about drama. No Spam posts and STAY ON TOPIC. This is an important news website.

When posting content located on some other website, please post no more than 20% of their content and always provide a link. Also, Multiple forum handles/IDs are NOT permitted.
If you see a spam post please click the "Report" button on that specific post. Also, what I don't want on my forum is name calling and cussing at people or direct insults. Thanks

Poll: Do you collect (semi) numismatic silver ?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Mystery mintages .. where do I start?
07-09-2016, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 05:08 AM by 2D4.)
Question Mystery mintages .. where do I start?
I very often have trouble finding the mintage info on silver bullion aswell as rounds especially, I wonder why all the other information is provided, in detail, but to find the mintages of some coins it takes hours to google, why is that ? I assumed it was because the mintage numbers were too high to make it interesting to provide them as a collectible, but that is not always the case, as we see with silver shields. Even in unboxing videos silver stackers mostly do not remark mintage numbers, while that is a huge factor in how much the coin could be worth over the span of a few years. So from a collectors point of view it kind of matters .. this is a mystery to me

Does anyone have any idea why mintage numbers are often left out of the info on bullion websites and or have ideas where I can find a website with comprehensive information on the mintage numbers of any kind of silver ounces?

Thank you

To illustrate my point, I bought 10 of these as cheap 20 dollar bullion in 2013, and they are now worth ?? anywhere ranging from 35 dollars to 90 dollars a piece, but very hard to come by. Because of criminal involvement of the mint director and a some scandal, these are not made any longer and the mintage numbers of this coin are unknown .. just saying, bought it because it was cheaper than the eagle to stack some pure silver, there you go,

2D4, proud member of Realist News since Apr 2013.

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2016, 08:26 AM
RE: Mintages mystery - where do I start?
Numismatic bullion coins are a marketing ploy that has been created by the coin industry. It's amazing how many people fall for this nonsense.

When the sh*t hits the fan, no one is going to care about mintage numbers, numismatic bullion coins, "first strike" coins (absurd!) or rarity.

"When you see the world die, only then will you understand how real I was" - Charles Manson
07-10-2016, 05:05 AM
RE: Mintages mystery - where do I start?
I know that .. but it expands my options when the ***** doesn´t hit the fan anytime soon, it could even be a moderate retirement , since I have no pension plan, but my hope is, that it will earn me back the ridiculous premiums. So if I can earn 20 dollars in 5 years per coin, instead of 0$ over 5 years, I know what I prefer to happen. If it´s just gonna sit there for years, it better be doing something .. is what I recon besides I like it much better to buy individual coins than to just order 40 generic pieces of bullion. I like the sight of silver, so it has added value for me

Not sure if you saw the video above but the coins I bought for 19 are now doing at least 40$ per coin, that´s the value doubling itself over the course of three years, not bad. Worst case scenario, I need money urgently and I will have to sell them for spot price because I have no time to get on ebay, but for that I have about a 100 generic bullion coins mostly eagles, the buy I started out with. You know what they say, diversify, it´s the smart thing to do. We have seen stagnant silver for a long time now, suppose you have to spend another couple of years watching silver paint dry .. what are you gonna do , you´re gonna be less annoyed when you know that some of your coins are gaining in value slowly and just realise that itá not a scam, ALL value in this world is perceived value, that´s just the way it is, demand creates price, the same thing applies to having plain bullion coins just for the silver. They only have value because other people want them, for what ever reason, so there really is no difference. At the end of the day a Rembrand, or a Van Gogh are just pieces of cloth with some dried paint on it, it´s the beauty, the lore, that creates the art and the millions, I see no harm in people wanting to add value to something by making it more pleasing to the eye .. I was never charmed all that much by the idea of living in a generic communist society where everyone and everything looks the same and you can get killed for standing out. So I really have to disagree with you, on all levels

You also didn´t address my question, which is fine, but I´m looking for sources of info on mintages

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
07-12-2016, 09:27 AM
RE: Mystery mintages .. where do I start?
(07-10-2016 05:05 AM)2D4 Wrote:  I know that .. but it expands my options when the ***** doesn´t hit the fan anytime soon, it could even be a moderate retirement , since I have no pension plan, but my hope is, that it will earn me back the ridiculous premiums. So if I can earn 20 dollars in 5 years per coin, instead of 0$ over 5 years, I know what I prefer to happen. If it´s just gonna sit there for years, it better be doing something .. is what I recon besides I like it much better to buy individual coins than to just order 40 generic pieces of bullion. I like the sight of silver, so it has added value for me

Not sure if you saw the video above but the coins I bought for 19 are now doing at least 40$ per coin, that´s the value doubling itself over the course of three years, not bad.

So, sell them now, take the profits and buy more bullion.

I don't have a traditional 401k or pension plan either. I use my green rectangles to buy tangible assets with a 5000 year track record. Pension plans will not be around in 5-10 years... the majority are grossly underfunded.

Collecting/investing in coins because of their rarity is fine, but in a SHTF scenario numismatic bullion is only worth it's silver content. Someone may refuse to trade with you because those coins lack recognition. This is one of the reasons I stick with ASE's, CML's, small bars and 90%. These are much more liquid if you need to sell them.

"When you see the world die, only then will you understand how real I was" - Charles Manson
07-12-2016, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 11:16 PM by 2D4.)
Sure that makes sense, but when the it hits the fan, silver will be so expensive that it wont even matter! Or, it will be so forgotten and cheap, that it wont matter how much you have just the same. I consider it a free added hedge, paying itself back in just a few years (paying back the premiums) I know this for a fact now, because I have googled the ones I bought in 2013, and with the exception of one coin (.. the cook islands 2013, now referred to by me as Crook Islands, that still do only 23$) they are all worth at least 28$ and I bought them under 25$ on average, you just can´t get them cheaper at this time, so that means I have earned the premiums, vat tax and shipping back, in three years. And in 20 years time added value will be splendid

I always check that the coins actually says 999 fine silver and 1 oz or troy ounce, so that when I need it to trade, there will be no speculation, I´m not into the rarest coins, I only buy what I can find under 25$ under 30$ at the most on a rare occasion. The Suriname coins I mentioned before, were the cheapest on my list in 2013, even cheaper than the silver eagles, they were considered cheap stacking bullion in prepper forums, you can google that, so really no use selling them to buy silver that´s now more expensive. I think I payed 18 and change for them.

You see I started out buying various kinds in rolls of ten pieces, but soon found out that this is way to expensive to keep doing, So I consider that to be my stack, and will now continue to buy single coins, the ones that are cheap for only a year. I also stick to the coins that are well known, like pandas, kooks, koalas. I only have 14 atm .. because I made the mistake of spending most of my savings on generic bullion in 2013 .. If I were to sell part of my stack to buy other generic bullion, that would be the biggest mistake I could make. I would get less than what I payed for it and then pay premiums, tax and shipping twice! Plus the silver prices are higher now. Personally I think that when it comes to trading scenarios, it wont matter what kind of silver you have, as long as it´s pure, and well known. My kookaburra has the same weight and silver content, it will do the job just fine

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
07-12-2016, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 11:53 PM by 2D4.)
For anyone who is interested , I found a website that provides info on many different coins worldwide. Even when the mintages are not known, they do provide a number on a rarity index, that gives you some kind of idea.

http://en.numista.com/

I just spent an hour trying to find the mintage of the Andorra Eagle silver 1oz 2013, and it took me 30 links to get an idea .. mintages of previous years unknown but the 2014 version has a mintage of 10.000 pieces and the cheapest I could find on ebay was $26.36 shipping not included.

I wish info on mintages was provided more readily, I repeat, I do not understand they do not mention it, or they will say ´low mintage´ as if that really tells you anything. They take time even to describe the print on the toiletpaper most used in the country of origin, and the beauty of the landscape, but then they ignore the important info,

EGO SUPERSTES VOS
07-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Aint a whole lot of help here, I guess I better join this silver forum or something

http://thesilverforum.com/topic/680-date...lvercoins/

https://adityaladia.files.wordpress.com/...rcoins.jpg

EGO SUPERSTES VOS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation NASA: Two "MYSTERY OBJECTS" Heading For Earth 1/5/17 AdamAntium 0 1,354 01-05-2017 11:37 AM
Last Post: AdamAntium
  Russian nuclear cruiser "Peter the Great" start hiking in the Mediterranean Sea razzle34dazzle 0 795 10-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: razzle34dazzle
  The start of the global economic crash, Mount Fuji & JER 39:2 Oxnard 0 768 04-17-2016 07:42 PM
Last Post: Oxnard
  NWO Greed - Obama plans to kick-start US business with Cuba on Havana trip next week Thinker 1 1,089 03-25-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: Thinker
Exclamation Alex Collier 1/10/16 NIBIRU March 16th to 20th 2016 - Start of Extreme Weather ?! AdamAntium 3 1,695 03-14-2016 02:08 PM
  US Election Mystery Shocker!! Trump, Obama & Hilary Use 3 Different US Flags! Why? Thinker 2 2,026 03-14-2016 11:27 AM
  Ok, I'll start it. 11\13! Nibiru, told you so, end of world, , doom! Bfennpt 3 2,191 10-28-2015 10:32 PM
Last Post: HG Spacetime
  Baltic Fortress 2015: NATO warships start NWO drills off Lithuanian coast Thinker 1 1,252 05-12-2015 03:24 PM
  Baltimore Teacher's & Parents Report Riots Didn’t Start the Way You Think Thinker 4 1,613 04-30-2015 03:53 PM
  CERN Start-up? Volcano Lightning + 2 Large eruptions in South Japan at Sakurajima Thinker 2 1,670 04-08-2015 09:08 PM
  Law changed so nuclear waste dumps can start coming to your neighborhood & town Thinker 3 1,335 04-06-2015 10:18 AM
  3 Aquifers Discovered: New Pipelines Start Supplying Fresh Water to Crimea Thinker 0 941 04-04-2015 07:23 PM
  Ukraine plans to start wall building on the border with Russia Thinker 3 1,226 04-02-2015 03:59 PM
Exclamation Hidden Mystery Royal 'Part Of Suspected Paedophile Ring Investigated By Scotland Yard People4People 2 1,651 03-22-2015 11:10 PM
  US Paratroopers to Start Training Ukrainian National Guard In April Thinker 5 1,195 03-21-2015 04:58 PM
  Fox News analyst: ‘Start killing Russians’ to save Ukraine Thinker 3 1,183 03-11-2015 06:09 PM
  Hyperinflation To Start in 2015: Economist Says Get Supplies Thinker 1 1,489 02-20-2015 03:03 AM
  Israel ready to start another war in Iran with or without the US? Thinker 2 758 02-14-2015 08:27 PM
Thumbs Up Code Pink Protesters Interrupt The Start Of The U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee People4People 3 1,751 02-02-2015 03:25 PM
  Travelers will start paying higher TSA fees next week to help pay down the nat. debt Thinker 1 1,330 02-01-2015 02:40 PM