Announcments
  • REALIST NEWS: Where you don't have to worry about drama. No Spam posts and STAY ON TOPIC. This is an important news website.

When posting content located on some other website, please post no more than 20% of their content and always provide a link. Also, Multiple forum handles/IDs are NOT permitted.
If you see a spam post please click the "Report" button on that specific post. Also, what I don't want on my forum is name calling and cussing at people or direct insults. Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.8 Average
Life in the woods *Update*
08-31-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: Life in the woods *Update*
Seriously awesome spot !

Congratz on all your efforts !

The first anonymous bitcoin lottery
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 03:18 PM
(08-31-2014 05:07 PM)NorthBlade Wrote:  Seriously awesome spot !

Congratz on all your efforts !

Thanks a lot NorthBlade. Feel free to visit some time, use some of those BTC profits.

Popcorn is now being served.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
10-06-2014, 03:31 PM
(08-31-2014 02:08 PM)People4People Wrote:  August 31, 2014

Everything seems to be moving along and the deck has a great view. How big of a tent will sit on it?

You answered the question about the flower which I couldn't find on the internet. I guess it isn't rare in your neck of the woods, but not something easily found in available photos.

Might consider taking some more and see who wants to buy them...the one photo was amazing!!!

If nothing else would like to see a few more myself...stunning flower!

Link below will probably answer all your questions about a wood gasifier...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...+gasifiers

Friendship/Love/Trust/Respect/Unity for all living things...

Thanks for the links P4P. I have been cured of my gasification bug, and am on to a thermoelectric kick lately. I realized that I have so little hard woods in my area, they would be wasted on gasification and better used in my rocket mass heater.

Taking advantage of a heat differential to create a current via the "Seebeck effect" utilizing "Peltier" panels, would allow me to burn the abundant soft woods to generate power. ..I'll be doing some tinkering this winter with TEG panels on my stove.

Thanks for the idea about selling photos, I've often thought the same myself. In fact, I have not been publishing my best pics in hopes of putting together a calender to sell.

The tent on the platform is 11 x 11 feet, and 6 feet tall. By next season I hope to do away with the tent and frame in the walls. I have floor to ceiling bay windows and a patio door for 3 out of the 6 sides, giving a 180 degree view of the lake.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
The rocket mass heater is done and burning well. I have lots of well seasoned maple and oak for the winter, and am storing it in a recently completed wood shed. The house is toasty and comfy. The colors are awesome now that the leaves have turned. Our woods are thick with ruffed grouse. I am becoming increasingly proficient at milling lumber from green trees with my Alaskan chainsaw mill. We have started brewing our own beer, and even have some healthy 2nd year hops growing on the property. I will spend the winter installing cabinets and flooring and trim, and all sorts of interior work, making the place pretty, awaiting my wife's return in the spring. She is going into the city for the winter to find work. I will be alone with my artwork and the wolves this winter, hunkered down.

We had our first clients this summer, and things went great. Everyone who comes once, becomes a return customer.

I only get a couple radio stations, and can't help but laugh at the media propaganda on the CBC. It is my only source of news, and it's a government sponsored joke. I miss the internet occasionally, but only very rarely. Taking care of life's solutions keeps me far busier than focusing on problems ever did; and is far more rewarding.

The walk in to my house:

[Image: 300x300.jpg]

The view from my patio:

This is the ravine we overlook. If you squint you can see the orange diamond of 1/2 inch metal I use for target practice at about 90 yards.

A recent chance encounter with the rare "ring necked" snake. ( I've been looking for these for 30 years, and have only ever found 2!)

10-06-2014, 04:28 PM
(10-06-2014 03:54 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  The rocket mass heater is done and burning well. I have lots of well seasoned maple and oak for the winter, and am storing it in a recently completed wood shed. The house is toasty and comfy. The colors are awesome now that the leaves have turned. Our woods are thick with ruffed grouse. I am becoming increasingly proficient at milling lumber from green trees with my Alaskan chainsaw mill. We have started brewing our own beer, and even have some healthy 2nd year hops growing on the property. I will spend the winter installing cabinets and flooring and trim, and all sorts of interior work, making the place pretty, awaiting my wife's return in the spring. She is going into the city for the winter to find work. I will be alone with my artwork and the wolves this winter, hunkered down.

We had our first clients this summer, and things went great. Everyone who comes once, becomes a return customer.

I only get a couple radio stations, and can't help but laugh at the media propaganda on the CBC. It is my only source of news, and it's a government sponsored joke. I miss the internet occasionally, but only very rarely. Taking care of life's solutions keeps me far busier than focusing on problems ever did; and is far more rewarding.

The walk in to my house:

A recent chance encounter with the rare "ring necked" snake. ( I've been looking for these for 30 years, and have only ever found 2!)

I'm a reptile/snake enthusiast too. Ringnecks are very interesting. They are secretive and hard to find. They are getting more rare. I used to breed them 20 years ago. Had some success, but they are not easy breeders like Garters, Corns or King snakes. I always let all the babies go after they reached a certain size. Definitely a cool looking snake with many beautiful color variations.

[Image: ringnecksnake.jpg]

"When you see the world die, only then will you understand how real I was" - Charles Manson
10-06-2014, 04:53 PM
(10-06-2014 04:28 PM)Fiat Facade Wrote:  I'm a reptile/snake enthusiast too. Ringnecks are very interesting. They are secretive and hard to find. They are getting more rare. I used to breed them 20 years ago. Had some success, but they are not easy breeders like Garters, Corns or King snakes. I always let all the babies go after they reached a certain size. Definitely a cool looking snake with many beautiful color variations.

Where did you find your wild Ringnecks?

From one enthusiast to another, here are a few more recent photos, taken in my backyard:

10-06-2014, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 05:15 PM by Fiat Facade.)
(10-06-2014 04:53 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 04:28 PM)Fiat Facade Wrote:  I'm a reptile/snake enthusiast too. Ringnecks are very interesting. They are secretive and hard to find. They are getting more rare. I used to breed them 20 years ago. Had some success, but they are not easy breeders like Garters, Corns or King snakes. I always let all the babies go after they reached a certain size. Definitely a cool looking snake with many beautiful color variations.

Where did you find your wild Ringnecks?

From one enthusiast to another, here are a few more recent photos, taken in my backyard:

Cool. Green salamander and a older gray rat snake (?) Hard to tell because I cannot see the head clearly.

Found most of my Ringnecks in Central PA and Valley Forge. When I was a kid in the 70's I could find them in my local park, under rotting wood/logs or large flat rocks... always near large streams and creeks. Along with their shrinking habitat, they are not as prolific as Garters, Ribbons or Water snakes. Being an egg layer does not help. I've kept and bred Decay snakes all the way up to the very large contrictors. Ringnecks are right up there as my all time favorite.

"When you see the world die, only then will you understand how real I was" - Charles Manson
10-06-2014, 05:33 PM
(10-06-2014 05:14 PM)Fiat Facade Wrote:  Cool. Green salamander and a older gray rat snake (?) Hard to tell because I cannot see the head clearly.

Found most of my Ringnecks in Central PA and Valley Forge. When I was a kid in the 70's I could find them in my local park, under rotting wood/logs or large flat rocks... always near large streams and creeks. Along with their shrinking habitat, they are not as prolific as Garters, Ribbons or Water snakes. Being an egg layer does not help. I've kept and bred Decay snakes all the way up to the very large contrictors. Ringnecks are right up there as my all time favorite.

Blue Spotted Salamander and Northern Water Snake. Here's a good shot of the head for ya'

...and to highlight the banding:

...upto 4 of these 5 foot water snakes bask on a 50 sq ft rock island in a tiny bay in our yard. We call it "serpent island".

I never had the patients to breed snakes. I used to keep them, until I had a Decay's die in my care. I never had the heart for it after that, but I always wanted a pair of Rubber Boas.

10-06-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 06:45 PM by Fiat Facade.)
(10-06-2014 05:33 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 05:14 PM)Fiat Facade Wrote:  Cool. Green salamander and a older gray rat snake (?) Hard to tell because I cannot see the head clearly.

Blue Spotted Salamander and Northern Water Snake. Here's a good shot of the head for ya'

...and to highlight the banding:

...upto 4 of these 5 foot water snakes bask on a 50 sq ft rock island in a tiny bay in our yard. We call it "serpent island".

I never had the patients to breed snakes. I used to keep them, until I had a Decay's die in my care. I never had the heart for it after that, but I always wanted a pair of Rubber Boas.

Spotted blue... cool. I bet those water snakes get extremely mean if you try to pick them up.

I let the baby Decay's go too. FYI, they do best in captivity if you pack half the tank with semi-moist soil, Peat moss and plenty of places to hide. From my experience they need to eat a varied diet, or they do not live long.

Rubber boas are great, but they like sand to borough in. Rosy's are my fav boas. I do not keep large constrictors anymore... I feel too bad for prey animals. I've had Burmese, Carpet's and Retic's... way too much hassle. Did you ever clean a Reticulated python after it defecates?... not fun. The heating bills required to maintain such large animals during the winter months are insane.

10-07-2014, 01:48 PM
(10-06-2014 03:54 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  The rocket mass heater is done and burning well. I have lots of well seasoned maple and oak for the winter, and am storing it in a recently completed wood shed. The house is toasty and comfy. The colors are awesome now that the leaves have turned. Our woods are thick with ruffed grouse. I am becoming increasingly proficient at milling lumber from green trees with my Alaskan chainsaw mill. We have started brewing our own beer, and even have some healthy 2nd year hops growing on the property. I will spend the winter installing cabinets and flooring and trim, and all sorts of interior work, making the place pretty, awaiting my wife's return in the spring. She is going into the city for the winter to find work. I will be alone with my artwork and the wolves this winter, hunkered down.

The walk in to my house:

The view from my patio:

This is the ravine we overlook. If you squint you can see the orange diamond of 1/2 inch metal I use for target practice at about 90 yards.

Beautiful...

Living the Dream!

I hear you...

"I miss the internet occasionally, but only very rarely. Taking care of life's solutions keeps me far busier than focusing on problems ever did; and is far more rewarding."

JPMsecretagent, proud member of Realist News since Jun 2011.
10-25-2014, 02:37 PM
After a few unexpected delays, I will be making my way back up to my tiny house in the bush tomorrow morning.

I am returning alone. I expect to be alone for the next 2 months, then return for Xmas/Festivus.

I will be looking for an excuse to make some videos to share with you guys, and humbly request any suggestions.

Is there any thing you'd like me to make a video about? Got a challenge for me?

I'm looking for any excuse to occupy my time to stave of boredom and keep from going stir crazy.

Please post any suggestions, and try to keep them woodsy.

Thanks,

-Kyle

10-25-2014, 03:36 PM
(10-25-2014 02:37 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  After a few unexpected delays, I will be making my way back up to my tiny house in the bush tomorrow morning.

I am returning alone. I expect to be alone for the next 2 months, then return for Xmas/Festivus.

I will be looking for an excuse to make some videos to share with you guys, and humbly request any suggestions.

Is there any thing you'd like me to make a video about? Got a challenge for me?

I'm looking for any excuse to occupy my time to stave of boredom and keep from going stir crazy.

Please post any suggestions, and try to keep them woodsy.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Make some vids of the local wildlife... including the herps.

10-25-2014, 03:42 PM
(10-25-2014 03:36 PM)Fiat Facade Wrote:  Make some vids of the local wildlife... including the herps.

Will do. I'm sure if nothing else I can get some good bird (grouse?) vids. All the reptiles here have already tucked themselves in for the season. Snow is in my forecast for this week.

10-25-2014, 03:52 PM
(10-25-2014 03:42 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 03:36 PM)Fiat Facade Wrote:  Make some vids of the local wildlife... including the herps.

Will do. I'm sure if nothing else I can get some good bird (grouse?) vids. All the reptiles here have already tucked themselves in for the season. Snow is in my forecast for this week.

Oh sh*t, I forgot about the weather changing -lol

10-25-2014, 04:42 PM
How about a time lapse of the Aurora Borealis, Milky Way Galaxy or Stars? or Time lapse of the changing seasons over lake? leaves falling....first snow, melt snow, snow, melt, to Spring or sunrise-set, moonrise-set, phases.

A few ideas....

Make a small track and move camera slowly over time to add different views...?

10-25-2014, 07:49 PM
(10-25-2014 04:42 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  How about a time lapse of the Aurora Borealis, Milky Way Galaxy or Stars? or Time lapse of the changing seasons over lake? leaves falling....first snow, melt snow, snow, melt, to Spring or sunrise-set, moonrise-set, phases.

A few ideas....

Love the track idea. I've been noodling about how to work something like that out.

Don't know that I'd be able to catch the Aurora with my crappy little camera, but I guess once Ed Dames' major solar kill-death-dooom lights up I might have a better chance.

The leaves have fallen where I am. Missed that chance.

I did a time-lapse of the melt on my lake this spring. It's pretty shaky, I could definitely try to improve on it. I like doing the time-lapse stuff, 'cause it's a good motivator to get out every day.

Thanks for the ideas.

10-26-2014, 10:51 AM
(10-25-2014 07:49 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 04:42 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  How about a time lapse of the Aurora Borealis, Milky Way Galaxy or Stars? or Time lapse of the changing seasons over lake? leaves falling....first snow, melt snow, snow, melt, to Spring or sunrise-set, moonrise-set, phases.

A few ideas....

Love the track idea. I've been noodling about how to work something like that out.

Don't know that I'd be able to catch the Aurora with my crappy little camera, but I guess once Ed Dames' major solar kill-death-dooom lights up I might have a better chance.

The leaves have fallen where I am. Missed that chance.

I did a time-lapse of the melt on my lake this spring. It's pretty shaky, I could definitely try to improve on it. I like doing the time-lapse stuff, 'cause it's a good motivator to get out every day.

Thanks for the ideas.

Nice, I forgot about this vid you did.

Hopefully the aperture on your camera can capture the Aurora "Kill Shot"! lol

Maybe test long exposure times to make up for a large aperture?

Good Luck, Have Fun!

11-07-2014, 03:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 04:00 AM by People4People.)
Smile The Only Four Things You Should Trust In The Months Ahead
November 7, 2014

It seems like there is less and less that people can hold any trust in these days. The government lies about everything, more so than usual, the FED lies, the market is a lie, the economic numbers are a lie and we cannot even get protection from outside threats because of open boarders and political correctness.

When one looks around for something they can hold to provide security and comfort in times of imminent peril and chaos there are very few things the average person can count on with any certainty. In the coming days of propaganda and political spin there are but four things you should trust with any certainty.

1:

http://projectchesapeake.wordpress.com/2...ths-ahead/

Top 5 Easy Recognizable Wild Foods

The times...they are a changing...

Friendship/Love/Trust/Respect/Unity for all living things..

People4People, proud member of Realist News since May 2011.
12-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Just got back to "civilization" yesterday. Except for a brief 40 hr visit from a friend, I spent the last 6 weeks alone in the woods.

I spent most of my time working on the interior of my house, paneling walls and building cabinets. I found a great patch of dry standing hardwood, and was able to harvest a bush cord of sugar maple in a couple days work.

With temperatures down to -20 overnight, our rocket mass heater is able to keep the house quite toasty with about 1.5 cubic feet of wood burnt per day. I am still burning about a half pound par day of propane to cook, and on average about 3/4 of a liter of gas per day for power tools and chainsaws, solar for everything else. So, all in all about $40 a month in energy expenses.

Spent several days just out hiking in the snow, looking for chaga fungus and critters. Found both.

A month and a half by myself was a very interesting introspective journey.

[Image: full.jpg]

12-12-2014, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 06:19 AM by HG Spacetime.)
Life in the woods *Update*
Wow nice modern home in the middle of the wilderness, much better than my get way dirt floor hut I lived in Tampico Mexico 1972, solitude can be incredible high. I'm going to build rocket mass heater to play around and possibly form thermal plastics. Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Organics on Mars! Signs of Life? AdamAntium 0 1,422 10-25-2018 02:51 PM
Last Post: AdamAntium
Video Signs of Life? Enceladus Update AdamAntium 0 1,468 10-25-2018 02:47 PM
  Small update on XINFIN XDC tokens Thornz 0 2,330 11-21-2017 01:59 PM
Last Post: Thornz
  Jim Comiskey Update- December 5th 2012 silversurfer 10 8,342 03-11-2017 10:44 AM
Last Post: silver surfer
  Update: Claim made for hydrogen 'wonder material' super-powerful rocket fuel etuHad4 1 3,395 02-27-2017 09:17 PM
Last Post: etuHad4
Photo IBM Just Released 5 Predictions About What Life Will Be Like In 2022 AdamAntium 0 2,588 01-25-2017 07:17 AM
  Update 12-2-16 IRS Requests Bitcoin Buyer Records in Broad Tax Evasion Case etuHad4 2 3,767 12-02-2016 11:14 PM
  Australian school boys recreate life-saving drug that was hicked in price!$750 for $2 etuHad4 0 2,723 12-02-2016 10:40 AM
Exclamation Planet X System Update No. 4 - YowUSA AdamAntium 0 3,022 11-11-2016 03:12 PM
  UPDATE 2:US Official: Hackers Targeted Election Systems Of 20 States "voter Fraud" etuHad4 0 1,897 09-30-2016 08:32 PM
  UPDATE: Computer Specialist Who Deleted Clinton Emails May Have Asked Reddit for Tips etuHad4 0 1,879 09-20-2016 01:10 AM
Brick Ethereum update & Bitcoin backed by gold cubes, neat! 2D4 2 2,409 06-25-2016 07:41 PM
Last Post: 2D4
  Venezuela - Update Thinker 5 3,534 06-14-2016 07:09 AM
Last Post: 2D4
  ATF Enforcement Act Introduced - UPDATE - DOJ database of Ammunition Owners Thinker 4 4,182 05-16-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: Thinker
  U.S. Pensions - Update Thinker 1 2,448 05-15-2016 07:38 AM
  George Soros: (Helping Nazis) "Was The Happiest Time of my Life" Thinker 2 2,483 03-14-2016 05:38 AM
  "Canadian Banking changes April 1, 2016" - Banking update on death of the dollar Thinker 3 4,851 03-11-2016 06:02 AM
  US Senate Report: Chemtrails Are Real & Killing Us - UPDATE Thinker 1 3,332 03-02-2016 03:15 PM
  Going from Soldier to Cop to President for Life - What it takes to get there Thinker 2 1,990 01-30-2016 05:33 PM
  REALIST NEWS - Foreclosure Update - Jsnip4 gets offer to walk away Thinker 5 4,601 11-23-2015 12:20 AM
Last Post: Norm