Announcments
  • REALIST NEWS: Where you don't have to worry about drama. No Spam posts and STAY ON TOPIC. This is an important news website.

When posting content located on some other website, please post no more than 20% of their content and always provide a link. Also, Multiple forum handles/IDs are NOT permitted.
If you see a spam post please click the "Report" button on that specific post. Also, what I don't want on my forum is name calling and cussing at people or direct insults. Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.8 Average
Life in the woods *Update*
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
RE: Life in the woods *Update*
Hey I thought this might be useful for you and your family!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burt...ower-to-go

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people .-Eleanor Roosevelt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 10:48 PM
(12-09-2013 04:04 PM)Uptodate32 Wrote:  Hey I thought this might be useful for you and your family!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burt...ower-to-go

Wow! That thing is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Popcorn is now being served.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Here's a rewind from the beginning of August:

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
12-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Question Pine Beetle?
December 15, 2013

Haven't seen any dead trees in any of your videos. No pine beetle kill in your area? How long will that tree you just chopped last, assuming you are going to use it for firewood?

Friendship/Love/Respect for all living things...

People4People, proud member of Realist News since May 2011.
12-17-2013, 12:39 PM
(12-16-2013 10:25 PM)People4People Wrote:  December 15, 2013

Haven't seen any dead trees in any of your videos. No pine beetle kill in your area? How long will that tree you just chopped last, assuming you are going to use it for firewood?

Friendship/Love/Respect for all living things...

Yes there are plenty of dead-fall in my area, hard to see in my videos I guess. And yes, there are many, many pine beetles. However, the major cause of downed trees around me is wind. (as there is hardly an soil to root in, strong winds often uproot whole patches of forest) The beetles we have in central/northern Ontario are a local variety that the trees are well adapted to, and that are eaten by birds. They are not the invasive Asian species that have been decimating western woodlands in Washington and BC. Southern Ontario does have an invasive beetle called the Emerald Ash Borer, but Ash doesn't grow as far north as I am.

The trees should last my lifetime if taken care of properly. I am currently drying them in 10-16 ft sections in order to use them as timbers to construct out buildings next year. They will make excellent posts with the help of a small cheap chainsaw mount wood mill. Whatever is not straight enough for timbers will be burnt as campfire wood, as we only burn hardwood in the rocket mass heater.

Native Pine Beetle:

[Image: pine-sawyer-beetle[1].jpg]

Invasive Pine Beetle:

[Image: erich-g-vallery-usda-forest-service-bugwood-org_.jpg]

05-02-2014, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 05:08 PM by mcetcher.)

I've been working on the video for a month and a half. I am glad to see it finished. The lake finally let my wife and I paddle back to civilization yesterday, and we had to fight 4 inch thick floating ice the whole way. The canoe trip, which usually takes less than 40 minutes, was over an hour and a half of picking and choosing our way through what little open water we could find.

Happy to be back in the land of showers beers and intertubes for the next couple days!

What's up realist newsers? Anything exciting happen while I was out? Is it world war 3 yet?

05-02-2014, 08:48 AM
(05-02-2014 12:16 AM)mcetcher Wrote:  

I've been working on the at video for a month and a half. I am glad to see it finished. The lake finally let my wife and I paddle back to civilization yesterday, and we had to fight 4 inch thick floating ice the whole way. The canoe trip, which usually takes less than 40 minutes, was over an hour and a half of picking and choosing our way through what little open water we could find.

Happy to be back in the land of showers beers and intertubes for the next couple days!

What's up realist newsers? Anything exciting happen while I was out? Is it world war 3 yet?

Are you guys living out there or just spending the weekends?

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/jsnip4

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." -George Orwell
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2014, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 11:10 AM by mcetcher.)
(05-02-2014 08:48 AM)Jsnip4 Wrote:  Are you guys living out there or just spending the weekends?

We have been living there full time since last June, and working from the property. http://www.clearlakeecoretreat.com When we are not guiding clients through the lakes and woods, we make art, build things, clear trails, gather wild food, and fish.
The closest grocery store is about 100 miles from our house; so when we leave to get supplies, we tend to make a few days of it and go visiting.

How about you Jsnip? Any plans to get back out into the country?

05-02-2014, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 06:59 PM by JPMsecretagent.)
Cool, you're back. I'll bet a few, hour long showers feel Good!

Do any ice fishing? The earth stove up and running?

Mama bears with new cubs knocking on the door for a bowl of hot porridge or soup? :)

JPMsecretagent, proud member of Realist News since Jun 2011.
05-02-2014, 08:30 PM
(05-02-2014 06:59 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Cool, you're back. I'll bet a few, hour long showers feel Good!

Mama bears with new cubs knocking on the door for a bowl of hot porridge or soup? :)

Thanks JPM, glad to be back (for a little while).

Tried for some perch on our lake, none to be had. Others did well with northern pike, one lake over. The 46 inches of ice slowed most people down. My auger was bottomed out.

The earth stove took 3 days to heat back up in -25, but once it was hot it worked very nicely and burned even less wood then anticipated.

I've been seeing some juvenile bear tracks around for a few weeks now, but no sightings. I did however, get to see my first wild (living) wolf. It was running up the frozen lake, towards me. I got to check it out for well over a minute. It was about 150 yards away when it spotted me and made itself scarce. What a thrill!

I continue to keep porridge on hand, just in case.

05-02-2014, 09:56 PM
(05-02-2014 08:30 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 06:59 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Cool, you're back. I'll bet a few, hour long showers feel Good!

Thanks JPM, glad to be back (for a little while).

Tried for some perch on our lake, none to be had. Others did well with northern pike, one lake over. The 46 inches of ice slowed most people down. My auger was bottomed out.

The earth stove took 3 days to heat back up in -25, but once it was hot it worked very nicely and burned even less wood then anticipated.

I've been seeing some juvenile bear tracks around for a few weeks now, but no sightings. I did however, get to see my first wild (living) wolf. It was running up the frozen lake, towards me. I got to check it out for well over a minute. It was about 150 yards away when it spotted me and made itself scarce. What a thrill!

I continue to keep porridge on hand, just in case.

Wolf...Very Cool, I'll bet that was a thrill!

46 inches of ice.......geeeeezzzzzzzz. I'm thinking drill your holes early in the season, fill them with greased 8in pvc pipe! :) save your back and tool! :)

Suspect the perch will be biting well soon after ice-out?

Bears....do they feed, walk around your place mostly at night? Montana we had a black bear mother and her 2 cubs feed on grubs, downed tree, several nights....11-2am summer. We'd hear them snorting and pushing/digging the old wood, faint black splotches in the night. Never appeared in daytime.

Good to hear the earth stove is working well!

05-02-2014, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 10:28 PM by mcetcher.)
(05-02-2014 09:56 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Wolf...Very Cool, I'll bet that was a thrill!

46 inches of ice.......geeeeezzzzzzzz. I'm thinking drill your holes early in the season, fill them with greased 8in pvc pipe! :) save your back and tool! :)

Suspect the perch will be biting well soon after ice-out?

Bears....do they feed, walk around your place mostly at night? Montana we had a black bear mother and her 2 cubs feed on grubs, downed tree, several nights....11-2am summer. We'd hear them snorting and pushing/digging the old wood, faint black splotches in the night. Never appeared in daytime.

Good to hear the earth stove is working well!

You're right, drilling early is the key. I would opt for foam rubber plugs. I've used young pine boughs successfully in the past.

We managed to find an 85 ft depth on our lake with a rope and lug nut, had the feeling we could have found a deeper spot yet, but didn't have the arms to keep auguring to find out.

The perch will be biting for a while yet. I'll find some.

Ya, the bears are mostly nocturnal. After they wake up, they are groggy and not that hungry for 2 weeks or so.

They woke up about 2 weeks ago. They are just starting to get alert and hungry now. Soon we'll be finding lots of overturned rocks and logs until the first of the berries start popping up.

I've only ever seen a handful of bears in the light of day. They tend to keep to themselves.

05-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Nocturnal...that's the word I was looking for. lol

Yes...foam sounds like a better idea... 85ft sounds plenty deep to me. Do perch generally stay near the bottom regardless of depth in winter? Suspect they could be 20ft near the bottom or 85ft depending on their feeding patterns, temp, time......

Da Bears

05-03-2014, 10:28 AM
(05-03-2014 09:07 AM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Nocturnal...that's the word I was looking for. lol

Yes...foam sounds like a better idea... 85ft sounds plenty deep to me. Do perch generally stay near the bottom regardless of depth in winter? Suspect they could be 20ft near the bottom or 85ft depending on their feeding patterns, temp, time......

Perch can be found deep and shallow. I usually focus around 40+ ft, and jig just off the bottom. I never had any luck finding perch in shallows, although other do. Apparently the key is finding a large flat bottom transitioning slowly uphill. What I really need to do is map my lake with a depth finder!

06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm back in civilization for the weekend, stocking up on sundries and building materials.

The blackflies weren't bad this year, and only bit for about five days before they were killed off by a heatwave. The were however, replaced by buzzillions of mosquitoes. I am a few pints of blood shy.

The house continues to take most of my time, but I have got it to a place now where the big jobs are done, and only a few small projects remain. Now is the time to refocus my energy on building the lakefront guest house. The work never ends! :)

I have managed to find lots of time for fishing and swimming though, to keep up moral. Having caught so many 8-10 lb pike now, I have finally figured out how to get ALL the bones out of them. I am now sick of fish n chips.

We planted a garden 2 weeks ago, and everything is spouting quite nicely. Onions are doing gangbusters, and our beets, carrots, kale, and spinach are up too. Of course we've been dining on some wild greens like fiddle heads and violets as they come up too. Soon the water lily buds will be floating, they are good eatin'.

The night before we left, we were thrilled to have a rare 'Blanding's turtle' decide to lay here eggs in our yard! Wow! This is only the 3rd blanding's I've seen in my life.

Haven't seen any bears yet this year. Not hide nor hair nor track.

We have also managed to cut good portage trails trough about half a mile of bush to a couple of the more remote local lakes, and have ditched extra canoes at the trail head. Going 3 lakes over, to a "fly in only fishing lake" (lol) is now an easy task, without the added effort of having to carry a canoe each time. I will be trying to carve out some decent camps on these lakes this summer to establish a paddling route for our clients.

Things are great.

I am glad to see that BTC isn't at zero, WWIII is not yet underway, and the earth is still spinning.

My world is almost entirely doom-free.

[Image: 149392_orig.jpg]

[Image: 207415_orig.jpg]

[Image: 6037560_orig.jpg]

[Image: 2840812_orig.jpg]

[Image: 7896064_orig.jpg]

[Image: 6320500_orig.jpg]

06-23-2014, 09:48 AM

06-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Assume!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds Great....house looks good! Work, work, work........good for the soul my friend. Creating your own doom-free paraidse, 1000 thumbs UP!

Cool looking flower, -second pic- reminds me of a fairy creature from never-never land.

Nice Bass,

Wood,wood, wood...yep....... Know the feeling. We got our first semi load from Toronto last week, 2 more coming....doing the "trim" carpentry (the whole place is trim lol) in a new 2 floor, 3 bar Ruths Chris steak house. Fun hard work, plus good $$$$$$$$.

Good luck brother! Place Looks Great!!!!

06-24-2014, 03:36 PM
(06-23-2014 10:42 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Assume!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds Great....house looks good! Work, work, work........good for the soul my friend. Creating your own doom-free paraidse, 1000 thumbs UP!

Cool looking flower, -second pic- reminds me of a fairy creature from never-never land.

Nice Bass,

Thanks JPM,

I have a really hard time NOT seeing a face with a quaff hairdo in that flower. Those orchids grow absolutely everywhere on our land.

I threw the bass back, as the season here doesn't open 'till this Saturday.

(06-23-2014 10:42 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Wood,wood, wood...yep....... Know the feeling. We got our first semi load from Toronto last week, 2 more coming....doing the "trim" carpentry (the whole place is trim lol) in a new 2 floor, 3 bar Ruths Chris steak house. Fun hard work, plus good $$$$$$$$.

Good luck brother! Place Looks Great!!!!

The Steak House job sounds like a fun time.

08-31-2014, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 10:05 AM by mcetcher.)
It's bee months since I've seen the internet. The marina 2 miles from my house stopped carrying wifi after a data theft.

My wife and I have been busy building a tent platform, and a bio-sand water filter as well as finishing off our rocket mass heater, and milling wood.

Lumber is my new PM, and I have far more fun stacking it.

[Image: 10560427_491502007653267_5958878780744705740_o.jpg]

For my next trick, I think I'll try to build a wood gasifier to run my generator on. Does anyone here have experience with wood gasification?

08-31-2014, 02:08 PM
Smile Looking Spectacular!!!
August 31, 2014

Everything seems to be moving along and the deck has a great view. How big of a tent will sit on it?

You answered the question about the flower which I couldn't find on the internet. I guess it isn't rare in your neck of the woods, but not something easily found in available photos.

Might consider taking some more and see who wants to buy them...the one photo was amazing!!!

If nothing else would like to see a few more myself...stunning flower!

Link below will probably answer all your questions about a wood gasifier...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...+gasifiers

Friendship/Love/Trust/Respect/Unity for all living things...

People4People, proud member of Realist News since May 2011.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Small update on XINFIN XDC tokens Thornz 0 1,778 11-21-2017 01:59 PM
Last Post: Thornz
  Jim Comiskey Update- December 5th 2012 silversurfer 10 7,800 03-11-2017 10:44 AM
Last Post: silver surfer
  Update: Claim made for hydrogen 'wonder material' super-powerful rocket fuel etuHad4 1 3,065 02-27-2017 09:17 PM
Last Post: etuHad4
Photo IBM Just Released 5 Predictions About What Life Will Be Like In 2022 AdamAntium 0 2,307 01-25-2017 07:17 AM
Last Post: AdamAntium
  Update 12-2-16 IRS Requests Bitcoin Buyer Records in Broad Tax Evasion Case etuHad4 2 3,310 12-02-2016 11:14 PM
  Australian school boys recreate life-saving drug that was hicked in price!$750 for $2 etuHad4 0 2,435 12-02-2016 10:40 AM
Exclamation Planet X System Update No. 4 - YowUSA AdamAntium 0 2,633 11-11-2016 03:12 PM
Last Post: AdamAntium
  UPDATE 2:US Official: Hackers Targeted Election Systems Of 20 States "voter Fraud" etuHad4 0 1,529 09-30-2016 08:32 PM
  UPDATE: Computer Specialist Who Deleted Clinton Emails May Have Asked Reddit for Tips etuHad4 0 1,581 09-20-2016 01:10 AM
Brick Ethereum update & Bitcoin backed by gold cubes, neat! 2D4 2 1,989 06-25-2016 07:41 PM
Last Post: 2D4
  Venezuela - Update Thinker 5 2,962 06-14-2016 07:09 AM
Last Post: 2D4
  ATF Enforcement Act Introduced - UPDATE - DOJ database of Ammunition Owners Thinker 4 3,699 05-16-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: Thinker
  U.S. Pensions - Update Thinker 1 2,165 05-15-2016 07:38 AM
  George Soros: (Helping Nazis) "Was The Happiest Time of my Life" Thinker 2 1,904 03-14-2016 05:38 AM
  "Canadian Banking changes April 1, 2016" - Banking update on death of the dollar Thinker 3 3,811 03-11-2016 06:02 AM
  US Senate Report: Chemtrails Are Real & Killing Us - UPDATE Thinker 1 2,834 03-02-2016 03:15 PM
  Going from Soldier to Cop to President for Life - What it takes to get there Thinker 2 1,645 01-30-2016 05:33 PM
  REALIST NEWS - Foreclosure Update - Jsnip4 gets offer to walk away Thinker 5 4,196 11-23-2015 12:20 AM
Last Post: Norm
  John Titor's N-Day prophecy Update Sempi 0 2,059 11-08-2015 11:46 PM
Last Post: Sempi
Exclamation Planet X System Update for November 2015 No. 1 - Major Update No. 3 AdamAntium 2 3,361 11-06-2015 11:24 AM
Last Post: HG Spacetime