Announcments
  • REALIST NEWS: Where you don't have to worry about drama. No Spam posts and STAY ON TOPIC. This is an important news website.

When posting content located on some other website, please post no more than 20% of their content and always provide a link. Also, Multiple forum handles/IDs are NOT permitted.
If you see a spam post please click the "Report" button on that specific post. Also, what I don't want on my forum is name calling and cussing at people or direct insults. Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.8 Average
Life in the woods *Update*
11-12-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: Life in the woods *Update*
(11-12-2013 11:15 AM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Nice!

It's big, put your mattress on it when finished!

Will using a pipe reducer somewhere in your design, from 8in - 6in increase flow-vacume, i.e create more and faster heat?

Having the ability to test both pipe sizes before mudding it in place an option? You can always recut the roof to 8in it 6in doesn't work.

Looks Good!!!

The size of the burn chamber and heat riser need to be of a smaller diameter than the exhaust. The burn chamber must be the tightest part of the unit. 6 inch exhaust would be of a smaller diameter than our burn chamber and our 8 inch heat riser, and therefor restrict flow. 6 inch exhaust would cause the stove NOT to draw. Larger is fine, smaller is no good. Remember, hot gasses want to flow into expanding spaces.

Popcorn is now being served.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 11:52 AM
(11-12-2013 11:27 AM)mcetcher Wrote:  

Will using a pipe reducer somewhere in your design, from 8in - 6in increase flow-vacume, i.e create more and faster heat?

Having the ability to test both pipe sizes before mudding it in place an option? You can always recut the roof to 8in it 6in doesn't work.

Looks Good!!!

The size of the burn chamber and heat riser need to be of a smaller diameter than the exhaust. The burn chamber must be the tightest part of the unit. 6 inch exhaust would be of a smaller diameter than our burn chamber and our 8 inch heat riser, and therefor restrict flow. 6 inch exhaust would cause the stove NOT to draw. Larger is fine, smaller is no good. Remember, hot gasses want to flow into expanding spaces.

Ah...so the reverse of my thinking. Vid mentioned concern about 8in pipe, thought you were talking about exhaust. I was thinking in water terms, increasing velocity. So you're thinking 10in exhaust? Thanks for the education!

JPMsecretagent, proud member of Realist News since Jun 2011.
11-12-2013, 03:07 PM
(11-12-2013 11:52 AM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  

Looks Good!!!

Ah...so the reverse of my thinking. Vid mentioned concern about 8in pipe, thought you were talking about exhaust. I was thinking in water terms, increasing velocity. So you're thinking 10in exhaust? Thanks for the education!

Your thinking was perfectly reasonable in regards to water.

To clarify, my concern over the 8 inch system was not draw/flow related. Every measurement of the guts of my system were very carefully designed to optimize draw. The concern is in the length of the exhaust. We only have 15 ft of exhaust, as opposed to the recommended 30-40. ( as we had to cut the size of our thermal storage bed/bench in half due to material and time constraints ). Since 30 ft of 8 inch exhaust is needed to maximize heat absorption, my concern is that we will be wasting good heat when we terminate our 15 ft exhaust. A 6 inch system, with the proportional burn chamber and heat riser, only requires 20 ft of 6 inch exhaust to capture all the heat. In my case with limited room for exhaust, hindsight would have had me design and build a smaller 6 inch system, rather than vent an 8 inch system too soon, while there is still plenty of good heat to be captured.

All in all, the 8 incher will work fine, however, it will burn more wood than necessary, and waste a little of the heat.

Live n' learn!

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
11-12-2013, 05:35 PM
(11-12-2013 03:07 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 11:52 AM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  

Looks Good!!!

Your thinking was perfectly reasonable in regards to water.

To clarify, my concern over the 8 inch system was not draw/flow related. Every measurement of the guts of my system were very carefully designed to optimize draw. The concern is in the length of the exhaust. We only have 15 ft of exhaust, as opposed to the recommended 30-40. ( as we had to cut the size of our thermal storage bed/bench in half due to material and time constraints ). Since 30 ft of 8 inch exhaust is needed to maximize heat absorption, my concern is that we will be wasting good heat when we terminate our 15 ft exhaust. A 6 inch system, with the proportional burn chamber and heat riser, only requires 20 ft of 6 inch exhaust to capture all the heat. In my case with limited room for exhaust, hindsight would have had me design and build a smaller 6 inch system, rather than vent an 8 inch system too soon, while there is still plenty of good heat to be captured.

All in all, the 8 incher will work fine, however, it will burn more wood than necessary, and waste a little of the heat.

Live n' learn!

I got you, thanks for explaining. Noticed your manifold section has a place for additional pipe. Any chance of using similar piece on backside to add additional exhaust next spring? Build it in two phases? Put a final layer of cob when sections are joined? Anyway, just a thought fwiw....

Got our first taste of snow this am. Not much, seasons changing...

Good Luck!

11-12-2013, 11:21 PM
(11-12-2013 05:35 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  I got you, thanks for explaining. Noticed your manifold section has a place for additional pipe. Any chance of using similar piece on backside to add additional exhaust next spring? Build it in two phases? Put a final layer of cob when sections are joined? Anyway, just a thought fwiw....

Got our first taste of snow this am. Not much, seasons changing...

Good Luck!

The T-junction on the manifold will remained capped and used as a clean out. there will be another clean out towards the end of the exhaust, before it exits the house, that I have considered using as a possible joint for an add on if needed. Good thinkin'.

We got some good snow here today too. The wife and I are back to the bush tomorrow morning. The house will be frozen...

Thanks for the luck. I'll need it!

12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

12-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Great Thread - Enjoy Watching Creative Minds At Work
December 4, 2013

Things are coming along pretty well. Saw a pan on top of the heater, does it heat the water up? How did you get to town?

Is the water frozen?

How many times will we get to hear from you this winter?

Are you going anywhere for the holidays?

Don't have to say..."Stay warm" cuz I can see that you are!

Thanks for sharing!

Friendship/Love/Respect for all living things..

People4People, proud member of Realist News since May 2011.
12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
(12-04-2013 02:13 PM)People4People Wrote:  December 4, 2013

Things are coming along pretty well. Saw a pan on top of the heater, does it heat the water up? How did you get to town?

Is the water frozen?

How many times will we get to hear from you this winter?

Are you going anywhere for the holidays?

Don't have to say..."Stay warm" cuz I can see that you are!

Thanks for sharing!

Friendship/Love/Respect for all living things..

We got to town by foot. As the lake is not yet solid enough to walk across, we had to take an alternate route, that takes us 8 kms out of the way to avoid a large patch of swamp land. If we could walk across the lake, it is a very direct 2.5 kms, the route we had to take was an exhausting 10 kms, hauling 100 lbs of gear behind us in sleds.

"Town" is reached by the route described to reach our truck, then driving 40 kms to town which has a hardware store, liquor store, and restaurant. The nearest grocery store is over 100 kms away. Needless to say, once there, we stock up!

The pot on the top of the barrel heats water to scalding temperatures, too hot to put your hands in for dishes, but, as the insides of the heater are still a bit wet (it take a looooong time to dry all the water out) the water does not yet boil. We are hoping that once the unit dries completely it will produce a boil. If not, I will make some mods.

The Lakes in the area a re frozen for the most part, but no where near solid enough to walk on. We have about 2 inches of ice currently, and things are in a warming trend so that amount is sure to recede as we start seeing temps above freezing again during the day. 5 inches of ice is the very least I would ever consider walking across, and even then I would not want to be hauling or carrying any gear.

I will be around the city and frequently visiting this site until the new year. Home for the holidays so to speak. I will return to my house in the woods once the main lake has enough ice to support me and my gear, quickening the return, and allowing for a greater amount of supplies to be transported.

Thanks for your interest.

12-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Nice, looks very peaceful!

Hopefully the lake is frozen for the return trip.

How many days food will you be packing on the return trip?

Suspect it's nice to touch civilization every few weeks, not having cell phone reception, blessing and potential curse?

12-04-2013, 09:32 PM
(12-04-2013 08:24 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Nice, looks very peaceful!

Suspect it's nice to touch civilization every few weeks, not having cell phone reception, blessing and potential curse?

Peaceful is an understatement.

I am told that the lake usually freezes by mid January at the latest. I am patient.

Every time we return from the grocery store, we bring all we can carry in our canoe. Usually about 100 liters or more (3 big packs). We also bring gasoline and propane. Currently we have about 4 months of food, and 30 lbs of propane at home. We don't NEED any more food, but will continue to stock our supply regardless. Giant northern pike are available through the ice, and there are plenty of hare to snare.

We like checking our email and texts every couple of weeks. The folks at the marina 2.5 kms away (now closed until mother's day) were nice enough to give us there wi-fi password. It takes me about half an hour in the summer, depending on wind conditions to get to the internet oasis.

I never had a cell phone when I lived in the city anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all. I could spend the rest of my life talking to the snakes and salamanders, staring into the lake, phoneless.

12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
(12-04-2013 09:32 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 08:24 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Nice, looks very peaceful!

Peaceful is an understatement.

I am told that the lake usually freezes by mid January at the latest. I am patient.

Every time we return from the grocery store, we bring all we can carry in our canoe. Usually about 100 liters or more (3 big packs). We also bring gasoline and propane. Currently we have about 4 months of food, and 30 lbs of propane at home. We don't NEED any more food, but will continue to stock our supply regardless. Giant northern pike are available through the ice, and there are plenty of hare to snare.

We like checking our email and texts every couple of weeks. The folks at the marina 2.5 kms away (now closed until mother's day) were nice enough to give us there wi-fi password. It takes me about half an hour in the summer, depending on wind conditions to get to the internet oasis.

I never had a cell phone when I lived in the city anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all. I could spend the rest of my life talking to the snakes and salamanders, staring into the lake, phoneless.

If Farmers almanac is correct, I'm thinking frozen lake in a couple of weeks. We got our first "winter storm warning" with zero temps "F" coming for few days, -20+ "C" I suspect in for your area.

When you catch your fish, I'm thinking clean them on the lake? It would be interesting if any wolves or other creatures pick up the scent, come out on the lake to investigate? Photo Opp? Although attracting a pack of hungry wolves near your cabin would suck. lol

Nice to have wi-fi nearby.

I hear you, I waited to get a cell phone, still running with old-school flip-phone. My friends think I'm so behind the times. No doubt many advantages not being tethered to phone or internet. Although I think it would be almost must where you are for emergency?

Peace!

Happy winter and good fishing ahead!

12-06-2013, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 03:38 PM by mcetcher.)
(12-06-2013 03:11 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  If Farmers almanac is correct, I'm thinking frozen lake in a couple of weeks. We got our first "winter storm warning" with zero temps "F" coming for few days, -20+ "C" I suspect in for your area.

When you catch your fish, I'm thinking clean them on the lake? It would be interesting if any wolves or other creatures pick up the scent, come out on the lake to investigate? Photo Opp? Although attracting a pack of hungry wolves near your cabin would suck. lol

I hear you, I waited to get a cell phone, still running with old-school flip-phone. My friends think I'm so behind the times. No doubt many advantages not being tethered to phone or internet. Although I think it would be almost must where you are for emergency?

Peace!

I think you are probably right as far as the ice timing is concerned, depending on how much snow we get. Right now there is about a foot of it insulating the 2 inches of ice, hindering further ice growth.

The closest wolf track I've seen has been about 4 km's from my house, although I've heard them much closer in the summer/fall, and am sure there are closer tracks that I have simply not seen yet. Coyotes on the other, judging from the track I wake up to every morning, come within 30 ft of the house most nights, and tend to congregate quite close by. I am happy to have a marten that frequents the underside of my house, as it keeps the mice at bay. I am happy to leave the fish awful on the lake, as the good ice fishing is on the next lake over, about 1 km from my house. It's a lake called "cross lake", and we have already taken several 5-7 lbs pikes from it. My lake, "clear lake" only has bass, which are not only out of season during the winter, but do not bite in cold water anyhow.

The wi-fi gets unplugged when the marina shuts down in mid November. It will be nice to have it back in the spring.

...As far as emergencies are concerned, we have to fend for ourselves. We have no cell reception on our lake, nor do we have an address to tell the 911 operator.

There have been hunting emergencies on our lake in the past. With nowhere to land a chopper, it took several days to haul the bodies out.

12-06-2013, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 03:57 PM by People4People.)
Smile Protection?
December 6, 2013

So you carry some protection on the way for supplies? Have you set eyes on any wolves or just seen their tracks?

You have an inside toilet or do you have an outhouse?

Take a picture when you catch some fish, just wondering how big they are.

Thanks for keeping us updated...its nice to take a trip somewhere and not have to pack for it. Kind of like reading a novel as it unfolds.

Friendship/Love/Respect for all living things...

People4People, proud member of Realist News since May 2011.
12-07-2013, 01:42 AM
(12-06-2013 03:37 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 03:11 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  If Farmers almanac is correct, I'm thinking frozen lake in a couple of weeks. We got our first "winter storm warning" with zero temps "F" coming for few days, -20+ "C" I suspect in for your area.

Peace!

I think you are probably right as far as the ice timing is concerned, depending on how much snow we get. Right now there is about a foot of it insulating the 2 inches of ice, hindering further ice growth.

The closest wolf track I've seen has been about 4 km's from my house, although I've heard them much closer in the summer/fall, and am sure there are closer tracks that I have simply not seen yet. Coyotes on the other, judging from the track I wake up to every morning, come within 30 ft of the house most nights, and tend to congregate quite close by. I am happy to have a marten that frequents the underside of my house, as it keeps the mice at bay. I am happy to leave the fish awful on the lake, as the good ice fishing is on the next lake over, about 1 km from my house. It's a lake called "cross lake", and we have already taken several 5-7 lbs pikes from it. My lake, "clear lake" only has bass, which are not only out of season during the winter, but do not bite in cold water anyhow.

The wi-fi gets unplugged when the marina shuts down in mid November. It will be nice to have it back in the spring.

...As far as emergencies are concerned, we have to fend for ourselves. We have no cell reception on our lake, nor do we have an address to tell the 911 operator.

There have been hunting emergencies on our lake in the past. With nowhere to land a chopper, it took several days to haul the bodies out.

Found 2 cross lakes in your region, would this be your lake, parallel with Ottawa, south of Madawaska? Much larger cross lake further north, can't imagine it only having bass. Clear lake directly south, it's not named on map?

Coyote's are growing in population down here, becoming fearless pests in some areas. A farmer I know was surrounded by a pack of about 20-30 one night, they wanted to eat his dog. He and a friend both had shotguns, kept them away without firing, but he was spooked by their aggressiveness and numbers. No natural predators other than large dogs and people in this region. My sisters older German Shepard went after 3-4 in her back yard this past summer, in the city......dog got a mouth-full of fur, and they ran away. Not sure how she would of come out had they all attacked? I've got a fearless, very dominant, 140 lb female Great Dane raised on a northern Maine farm. In her prime she wouldn't hesitate to take on a bear, let alone snap a coyote in half in 2 seconds. Point being.........it's nice to have a good dog or two around, keep the riff-raff away and or signal. Good companions, but they are work.

Hunting accidents, I've read about them locally, guys falling out of tree stands and breaking their necks or idiots mistaking them for game. Don't understand someone mistake a man for a deer or moose, crazy...to say the least. Fishing is more my thing unless I need meat to survive. Had visions of your lake producing walleye for lunch, how the heck does a Canadian lake have only bass....fished out and restocked?

12-07-2013, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2013 04:04 PM by mcetcher.)
(12-06-2013 03:56 PM)People4People Wrote:  December 6, 2013

So you carry some protection on the way for supplies? Have you set eyes on any wolves or just seen their tracks?

You have an inside toilet or do you have an outhouse?

Take a picture when you catch some fish, just wondering how big they are.

Thanks for keeping us updated...its nice to take a trip somewhere and not have to pack for it. Kind of like reading a novel as it unfolds.

Friendship/Love/Respect for all living things...

The the only thing I carry that could be used for protection from critters is my ax. There has never in history been a verifiable documented case of wolves hunting or killing adults. The vilification of them only happened once ranching started. In fact, wolves were such a good friend of humans, we domesticated them. I am not afraid of wolves or coyotes, and in all my time tramping through some very densely populated wolf habitats (and I have spend years of my life in these areas, with no walls or guns to "protect" me, the only wolf I have ever seen has been a dead one. All this despite knowingly camping very close to dens, and being surrounded sometimes by several packs. It usually freaks out my clients, but I don't even bat an eye when I hear a pack howling on the other side of the lake.

I do however carry extra wool clothing, an ax, tarp, lighters, and a bow saw to protect against the real killer: hypothermia. Other essentials include a headlamp and food rations. With these tools and more importantly the know how and experience to use them properly, my wife and I could endure weeks of bone chilling temperatures with little effort.

We currently use an outhouse, but are planning to have a composting toilet inside by the spring.

The small mouth bass are about this big:

[Image: 1371398919.jpg]

Thanks for reading my novel. I promise to keep it interesting. Now that I have a home base constructed, I'll have time to do some real crazy adventuring and survival tutorials soon.

12-07-2013, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2013 04:44 PM by mcetcher.)
(12-07-2013 01:42 AM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Found 2 cross lakes in your region, would this be your lake, parallel with Ottawa, south of Madawaska? Much larger cross lake further north, can't imagine it only having bass. Clear lake directly south, it's not named on map?

Coyote's are growing in population down here, becoming fearless pests in some areas. A farmer I know was surrounded by a pack of about 20-30 one night, they wanted to eat his dog. He and a friend both had shotguns, kept them away without firing, but he was spooked by their aggressiveness and numbers. No natural predators other than large dogs and people in this region. My sisters older German Shepard went after 3-4 in her back yard this past summer, in the city......dog got a mouth-full of fur, and they ran away. Not sure how she would of come out had they all attacked? I've got a fearless, very dominant, 140 lb female Great Dane raised on a northern Maine farm. In her prime she wouldn't hesitate to take on a bear, let alone snap a coyote in half in 2 seconds. Point being.........it's nice to have a good dog or two around, keep the riff-raff away and or signal. Good companions, but they are work.

Hunting accidents, I've read about them locally, guys falling out of tree stands and breaking their necks or idiots mistaking them for game. Don't understand someone mistake a man for a deer or moose, crazy...to say the least. Fishing is more my thing unless I need meat to survive. Had visions of your lake producing walleye for lunch, how the heck does a Canadian lake have only bass....fished out and restocked?

Close, but no cigar JPM. Here's a link to my exact location:

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authuser=...dg=feature

I am very excited to get a pair of dogs in the spring. Mostly to keep the bears n coyotes and deer and rabbits out of my gardens and berry patches and fruit trees. A little companionship on some of my longer solo trips would be welcome as well. I don't see the coyotes as a pest quite yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they get a little too used to my new house.

My lake is at the height of land, spring fed, flowing out at each end. It is the top of the area's watershed. There are some perch in it as well as some rock bass, but none worth eating. Once bass get into the smaller lakes, they choke everything else out quickly, including pike and walleyes. In fact, my experience in the north of Ontario, is that the majority of backwoods lakes are pike and bass only with no walleye. The walleyes stick to the big lakes and rivers at the bottom of watersheds with trout (rainbow, brown, speckled, lake, and splake) staying in the clearer higher portions of the watersheds which are mostly toward the Algonquin area. Unless you are close enough to the great lakes, in which case there is room enough for everyone. And yes, there was a lot of lake stocking mischief that happened up until the 60's or so, that resulted in devastated fish populations, carried out ironically by fishing camps.

Oh, and to answer you question from the doomtard thread, no we have no shower. We have a 32 liter stock pot (as seen on the vids on the barrel) that we use for "baths". I am planning on building a bath house this spring with a rocket mass heated cast iron tub and a solar heated gravity fed shower system.

12-08-2013, 05:53 PM
(12-07-2013 04:24 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(12-07-2013 01:42 AM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Found 2 cross lakes in your region, would this be your lake, parallel with Ottawa, south of Madawaska? Much larger cross lake further north, can't imagine it only having bass. Clear lake directly south, it's not named on map?

Close, but no cigar JPM. Here's a link to my exact location:

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authuser=...dg=feature

I am very excited to get a pair of dogs in the spring. Mostly to keep the bears n coyotes and deer and rabbits out of my gardens and berry patches and fruit trees. A little companionship on some of my longer solo trips would be welcome as well. I don't see the coyotes as a pest quite yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they get a little too used to my new house.

My lake is at the height of land, spring fed, flowing out at each end. It is the top of the area's watershed. There are some perch in it as well as some rock bass, but none worth eating. Once bass get into the smaller lakes, they choke everything else out quickly, including pike and walleyes. In fact, my experience in the north of Ontario, is that the majority of backwoods lakes are pike and bass only with no walleye. The walleyes stick to the big lakes and rivers at the bottom of watersheds with trout (rainbow, brown, speckled, lake, and splake) staying in the clearer higher portions of the watersheds which are mostly toward the Algonquin area. Unless you are close enough to the great lakes, in which case there is room enough for everyone. And yes, there was a lot of lake stocking mischief that happened up until the 60's or so, that resulted in devastated fish populations, carried out ironically by fishing camps.

Oh, and to answer you question from the doomtard thread, no we have no shower. We have a 32 liter stock pot (as seen on the vids on the barrel) that we use for "baths". I am planning on building a bath house this spring with a rocket mass heated cast iron tub and a solar heated gravity fed shower system.

Ah...much further west, thought it was south, close to Algonquin park. Several "cross lakes".

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa...CGwQtgMwCg

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa...CGoQtgMwCg

Interesting info regarding water shed and fish species., thx. Passing the time catching a few perch with a rewarding meal at the end of the day,... seems like fun to me! Nice...on getting the dogs! I love my dogs, more than "most" people, :) special creatures! Food and storage may be somewhat of a challenge at first, worth it imo. For sure coyotes will lose fear, become more brazen,......downside, dogs may become an attraction as prey for both coyotes and wolves. Anatolian shepherd / Kangal comes to mind, a little big as a canoe dog.

12-08-2013, 06:36 PM
(12-08-2013 05:53 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Ah...much further west, thought it was south, close to Algonquin park. Several "cross lakes".

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa...CGwQtgMwCg

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa...CGoQtgMwCg

Interesting info regarding water shed and fish species., thx. Passing the time catching a few perch with a rewarding meal at the end of the day,... seems like fun to me! Nice...on getting the dogs! I love my dogs, more than "most" people, :) special creatures! Food and storage may be somewhat of a challenge at first, worth it imo. For sure coyotes will lose fear, become more brazen,......downside, dogs may become an attraction as prey for both coyotes and wolves. Anatolian shepherd / Kangal comes to mind, a little big as a canoe dog.

Even though it's not exactly "legal", I prefer not wasting time at an ice hole at all; but rather auguring a bunch of holes, baiting static lines, and coming back in the morning.

Coyotes may well be attracted to the dogs, but they will quickly learn about my boom-stick. My 30-06 should keep them on the other side of the lake.

Thanks for the advice on dog breeds, they both look like contenders. I'd prefer a big breed. Nothing is too big for a canoe. One of the best canoe dogs I've met is a Bernese mountain/black lab. Any dog can be in a boat, I need one that will pull a small sled as well, and retrieve water foul.

12-08-2013, 11:47 PM
(12-08-2013 06:36 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 05:53 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Interesting info regarding water shed and fish species., thx. Passing the time catching a few perch with a rewarding meal at the end of the day,... seems like fun to me! Nice...on getting the dogs! I love my dogs, more than "most" people, :) special creatures! Food and storage may be somewhat of a challenge at first, worth it imo. For sure coyotes will lose fear, become more brazen,......downside, dogs may become an attraction as prey for both coyotes and wolves. Anatolian shepherd / Kangal comes to mind, a little big as a canoe dog.

Even though it's not exactly "legal", I prefer not wasting time at an ice hole at all; but rather auguring a bunch of holes, baiting static lines, and coming back in the morning.

Coyotes may well be attracted to the dogs, but they will quickly learn about my boom-stick. My 30-06 should keep them on the other side of the lake.

Thanks for the advice on dog breeds, they both look like contenders. I'd prefer a big breed. Nothing is too big for a canoe. One of the best canoe dogs I've met is a Bernese mountain/black lab. Any dog can be in a boat, I need one that will pull a small sled as well, and retrieve water foul.

I can see how hanging out on the ice all day without shelter could get old and cold. Maybe setting lines with bells on the tips and a pair of binoculars viewed from your cabin would "not" be "out-side" the law? :) Guess you could always accidentally fall asleep and check them in the morning?

Suspect the breed would do well in your environment, coyotes would be in for a big surprise. Unless you're raising herd animals, doubt wolves would be visiting, unless they're starving. I'm reading reports of moose and turkey hunters finding it's they who end up being the hunted as they call in game. Having 6-8 wolves turn the tables would be a little unnerving to say the least. I'm not into hunting unless it's for needed food, if I become the needed food, Mr 30-06 or a few brave Anatolia Shepherds would be a welcome companion. :) Seems the environmentalists are painting a cloudy portrait of the reality of wolf encounters and numbers in many states as they reintroduce them into old/new habitat. No doubt, fear propaganda and loss of profits drove idiots to wholesale slaughter the wolf in the past, Very Sad. Interesting how Wisconsin DNR list dogs killed by wolves in 2013 as " depredations". Round and round we go with another propaganda war.

Temperament

Ali(Baba) guarding his flock.
The Anatolian Shepherd dog was developed to be independent and forceful, responsible for guarding its master's flocks without human assistance or direction. These traits make it challenging as a pet; owners of dogs of this breed must socialize the dogs to turn them into appropriate companions. They are intelligent and can learn quickly but might choose not to obey.

According to Turkish shepherds, three Anatolian Shepherd Dogs are capable of overcoming a pack of wolves and injuring one or two of them. These dogs like to roam, as they were bred to travel with their herd and to leave the herd to go hunt for predators before the predators could attack the flock. Therefore it is recommended to micro-chip and tag pets.

This breed is not recommended for living in small quarters. They do well with other animals, including cats if they are introduced while still a puppy and have their own space. They mature between 18–30 months. Both puppies and adults seem to have little interest in fetching. Rather, they prefer to run and sometimes swim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd

Wolf attacks on humans

A review of literature by Norwegian biologists found that between 1952 and 2002, there were eight fatal attacks by wolves in Europe and Russia, none in the North America, and more than 200 in South Asia.[9] Another, separate and more limited review by the Alaska Fish and Wildlife bureau cited 80 non-fatal "wolf-human encounters" in North America in the period 1915-2002.[10] Beginning with an incident in 2005, documents indicate several fatal attacks have occurred in North America.

List of non fatal wolf attacks in North America - scroll down
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attack...EFMech1981

Algonquin Provincial Park,Ontario, Canada

http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/wolvestoc.htm

Dog depredations
Table 1. Dog depredations by wolves for 2013 (listed by date)
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/...gdeps.html

12-08-2013, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 11:52 PM by JPMsecretagent.)
(12-08-2013 06:36 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 05:53 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Interesting info regarding water shed and fish species., thx. Passing the time catching a few perch with a rewarding meal at the end of the day,... seems like fun to me! Nice...on getting the dogs! I love my dogs, more than "most" people, :) special creatures! Food and storage may be somewhat of a challenge at first, worth it imo. For sure coyotes will lose fear, become more brazen,......downside, dogs may become an attraction as prey for both coyotes and wolves. Anatolian shepherd / Kangal comes to mind, a little big as a canoe dog.

I can see how hanging out on the ice all day without shelter could get old and cold. Maybe setting lines with bells on the tips and a pair of binoculars viewed from your cabin would "not" be "out-side" the law? :) Guess you could always accidentally fall asleep and check them in the morning?

Suspect the breed would do well in your environment, coyotes would be in for a big surprise. Unless you're raising herd animals, doubt wolves would be visiting, unless they're starving. I'm reading reports of moose and turkey hunters finding it's they who end up being the hunted as they call in game. Having 6-8 wolves turn the tables would be a little unnerving to say the least. I'm not into hunting unless it's for needed food, if I become the needed food, a 30-06 or a few brave Anatolia Shepherds would be a welcome companions. :)

Seems the environmentalists are painting a cloudy portrait of the reality of wolf encounters and numbers in many states as they reintroduce them into old/new habitat. No doubt, fear propaganda and loss of profits drove idiots to wholesale slaughter the wolf in the past, Very Sad. Interesting how Wisconsin DNR list dogs killed by wolves in 2013 as "depredations".see link. Round and round we go with another propaganda war.

Temperament

Ali(Baba) guarding his flock.
The Anatolian Shepherd dog was developed to be independent and forceful, responsible for guarding its master's flocks without human assistance or direction. These traits make it challenging as a pet; owners of dogs of this breed must socialize the dogs to turn them into appropriate companions. They are intelligent and can learn quickly but might choose not to obey.

According to Turkish shepherds, three Anatolian Shepherd Dogs are capable of overcoming a pack of wolves and injuring one or two of them. These dogs like to roam, as they were bred to travel with their herd and to leave the herd to go hunt for predators before the predators could attack the flock. Therefore it is recommended to micro-chip and tag pets.

This breed is not recommended for living in small quarters. They do well with other animals, including cats if they are introduced while still a puppy and have their own space. They mature between 18–30 months. Both puppies and adults seem to have little interest in fetching. Rather, they prefer to run and sometimes swim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd

Wolf attacks on humans

A review of literature by Norwegian biologists found that between 1952 and 2002, there were eight fatal attacks by wolves in Europe and Russia, none in the North America, and more than 200 in South Asia.[9] Another, separate and more limited review by the Alaska Fish and Wildlife bureau cited 80 non-fatal "wolf-human encounters" in North America in the period 1915-2002.[10] Beginning with an incident in 2005, documents indicate several fatal attacks have occurred in North America.

List of non fatal wolf attacks in North America - scroll down
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attack...EFMech1981

Algonquin Provincial Park,Ontario, Canada

http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/wolvestoc.htm

Dog depredations
Table 1. Dog depredations by wolves for 2013 (listed by date)
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/...gdeps.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Organics on Mars! Signs of Life? AdamAntium 0 144 10-25-2018 02:51 PM
Last Post: AdamAntium
Video Signs of Life? Enceladus Update AdamAntium 0 143 10-25-2018 02:47 PM
  Small update on XINFIN XDC tokens Thornz 0 1,960 11-21-2017 01:59 PM
Last Post: Thornz
  Jim Comiskey Update- December 5th 2012 silversurfer 10 7,898 03-11-2017 10:44 AM
Last Post: silver surfer
  Update: Claim made for hydrogen 'wonder material' super-powerful rocket fuel etuHad4 1 3,115 02-27-2017 09:17 PM
Last Post: etuHad4
Photo IBM Just Released 5 Predictions About What Life Will Be Like In 2022 AdamAntium 0 2,350 01-25-2017 07:17 AM
  Update 12-2-16 IRS Requests Bitcoin Buyer Records in Broad Tax Evasion Case etuHad4 2 3,395 12-02-2016 11:14 PM
  Australian school boys recreate life-saving drug that was hicked in price!$750 for $2 etuHad4 0 2,497 12-02-2016 10:40 AM
Exclamation Planet X System Update No. 4 - YowUSA AdamAntium 0 2,741 11-11-2016 03:12 PM
  UPDATE 2:US Official: Hackers Targeted Election Systems Of 20 States "voter Fraud" etuHad4 0 1,585 09-30-2016 08:32 PM
  UPDATE: Computer Specialist Who Deleted Clinton Emails May Have Asked Reddit for Tips etuHad4 0 1,635 09-20-2016 01:10 AM
Brick Ethereum update & Bitcoin backed by gold cubes, neat! 2D4 2 2,067 06-25-2016 07:41 PM
Last Post: 2D4
  Venezuela - Update Thinker 5 3,098 06-14-2016 07:09 AM
Last Post: 2D4
  ATF Enforcement Act Introduced - UPDATE - DOJ database of Ammunition Owners Thinker 4 3,775 05-16-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: Thinker
  U.S. Pensions - Update Thinker 1 2,224 05-15-2016 07:38 AM
  George Soros: (Helping Nazis) "Was The Happiest Time of my Life" Thinker 2 2,018 03-14-2016 05:38 AM
  "Canadian Banking changes April 1, 2016" - Banking update on death of the dollar Thinker 3 3,888 03-11-2016 06:02 AM
  US Senate Report: Chemtrails Are Real & Killing Us - UPDATE Thinker 1 2,950 03-02-2016 03:15 PM
  Going from Soldier to Cop to President for Life - What it takes to get there Thinker 2 1,714 01-30-2016 05:33 PM
  REALIST NEWS - Foreclosure Update - Jsnip4 gets offer to walk away Thinker 5 4,277 11-23-2015 12:20 AM
Last Post: Norm