Announcments
  • REALIST NEWS: Where you don't have to worry about drama. No Spam posts and STAY ON TOPIC. This is an important news website.

When posting content located on some other website, please post no more than 20% of their content and always provide a link. Also, Multiple forum handles/IDs are NOT permitted.
If you see a spam post please click the "Report" button on that specific post. Also, what I don't want on my forum is name calling and cussing at people or direct insults. Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.8 Average
Life in the woods *Update*
10-03-2013, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 03:11 PM by JPMsecretagent.)
RE: Life in the woods *Update*
(10-03-2013 12:20 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  Roof on, camo shingles. (can't wait to share pics). House has been wrapped, taped, and the windows installed.

I found a giant stand of standing dead oak and maple. Very dry. 3 bush cords worth in my estimation, probably much much more.

Doing soil samples. Found lots of clay for the rocket mass heater.

Warm and dry start to the fall. Highs of 25, lows of 10 overnight.

The colours are magnificent!

Peace, and good luck with the shutdown/default/civil war thing.

NICE

Look forward to pix and hearing progress on mass heater rocket stove.

Wood, wood, wood! If what I've read is correct about fuel savings in rocket vs traditional, sounds like you could be covered for the season?
Bet that's a relief!

JPMsecretagent, proud member of Realist News since Jun 2011.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 04:34 PM
(10-03-2013 12:20 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  Roof on, camo shingles. (can't wait to share pics). House has been wrapped, taped, and the windows installed.

I found a giant stand of standing dead oak and maple. Very dry. 3 bush cords worth in my estimation, probably much much more.

Doing soil samples. Found lots of clay for the rocket mass heater.

Warm and dry start to the fall. Highs of 25, lows of 10 overnight.

The colours are magnificent!

Peace, and good luck with the shutdown/default/civil war thing.

You are truly kick-ass. Please be quick with pics!

EnoughIsEnough1776, proud member of Realist News since Apr 2013.
10-05-2013, 11:41 PM
(10-03-2013 03:07 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  NICE

Wood, wood, wood! If what I've read is correct about fuel savings in rocket vs traditional, sounds like you could be covered for the season?
Bet that's a relief!

The stove should get underway next week. Can't wait to tell you all about it.

I suspect that I have found more than enough wood for the season. Let's hope that I'm right. lol. Even if it only gets me pat of the way through, once the lakes are hard and the sleds are running, I should be able to quickly access other stands of wood further off. I will continue exploratory missions to search them out.

Popcorn is now being served.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
(10-05-2013 11:41 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 03:07 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  NICE

Bet that's a relief!

The stove should get underway next week. Can't wait to tell you all about it.

I suspect that I have found more than enough wood for the season. Let's hope that I'm right. lol. Even if it only gets me pat of the way through, once the lakes are hard and the sleds are running, I should be able to quickly access other stands of wood further off. I will continue exploratory missions to search them out.

Look forward to hearing/seeing it being built! Suspect some trial and error? hopefully no error. I guess if things don't go as planned, a tent set-up inside the cabin will help! lol

Frozen lake....walk outside your front door to go ice fishing, fun in the sun!

Good Luck!

10-06-2013, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 05:05 PM by mcetcher.)
[Image: 1010062_10153344406880331_1365813673_n.jpg]

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold" -Bob Marley
10-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Smile Living A Dream & Kind Enough To Share It!
October 6, 2013

Thanks for sharing the place has progressed quite a bit since the last video. Do your neighbors live their year round?

What are the plans for the winter?

How often will you have to get supply?

Keep the videos coming they're great!

How about some along the lake and where you leave your truck.

Friendship/Love/Respect for all living things...

People4People, proud member of Realist News since May 2011.
10-06-2013, 05:37 PM
(10-06-2013 05:17 PM)People4People Wrote:  October 6, 2013

Thanks for sharing the place has progressed quite a bit since the last video. Do your neighbors live their year round?

What are the plans for the winter?

How often will you have to get supply?

Keep the videos coming they're great!

How about some along the lake and where you leave your truck.

I have 1 neighbor who lives there most of the year. The one in this last vid, closest to the dock. The next closest year-rounder is over a mile away by water, and then there is not another for 10 miles or so. If you travel south or north from my home there are no neighbors at all for over 20 miles in either direction.

My wife and I plan to spend the winter hunting/ice fishing, skidooing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, guiding others through the north, watching the northern lights, pursuing our artistic endeavors, meditating, snuggling up by the fire and watching movies....

We have over 6 months worth of canned, dehydrated, or otherwise non-perishable foods in our shed. we have a small solar system, 100 lbs of propane, an endless supply of wood for heat and fuel, and a spring fed lake for water. We need only go for supplies when we crave luxuries, but generally our guests are kind enough to bring with them a basket of surprises that keep us well satisfied. Whiskey, steak, produce, the odd cigar, digital media....

I will certainly keep the vids coming, and will try to get some shots from the water and the marina.

Thanks for watching!

10-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Looks Great!

So you have road access via ATV? If so, is ATV and trailer an option?

10-07-2013, 05:16 PM
(10-06-2013 08:10 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Looks Great!

It's an option. I've never been a fan of ATV's though. I prefer to boat/walk in my goods.

10-07-2013, 06:16 PM
(10-07-2013 05:16 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  

It's an option. I've never been a fan of ATV's though. I prefer to boat/walk in my goods.

Ranger Bay, looks very nice!

Speaking of Rangers, watched pt3 again. From what I see my 4x4 Ranger could make through that trail/road. Why the h#ll aren't you trucking in all your building materials? :) Living the pioneer dream and building muscle, no motor world. :)

Heck I would of let you use my truck, it's a great little truck with tons of hail damage, a few more dents couldn't hurt it! lol

10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
(10-07-2013 06:16 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  

Speaking of Rangers, watched pt3 again. From what I see my 4x4 Ranger could make through that trail/road. Why the h#ll aren't you trucking in all your building materials? :) Living the pioneer dream and building muscle, no motor world. :)

Heck I would of let you use my truck, it's a great little truck with tons of hail damage, a few more dents couldn't hurt it! lol

If building materials could be trucked in, if we could drive there, and have a parking space on our land, we would.

Yes indeed, you would most certainly be able to drive with ease through all of the trails in the video. However, the bits of the trail filmed are by far the nicest parts of said trail. The other mile or so to the 3 season road is VERY rough. Rumor has it a cottager brought a mini excavator through to make that trail and service his cottage 25 years ago. There has not been a vehicle over the trail (other than an ATV) since.

With a years work or so, I could fix up the trail to point of being able to a 4x4 through, but I am completely opposed to that. It would only encourage others to do the same. We bought the property specifically because it was NOT road accessible.

If I had a road, then people could drive to my house. Keeping the house a mile off the road acts as a douchebag filter, gives me piece of mind, and provides a sense of isolation that works well with our business model.

Also, I hate reliance on fossil fuels, and prefer the silence, freedom, and reliability of my canoe and feet.

...That having been said, you are welcome to try to drive in anytime you'd like.
(get a big lift kit installed first, you'll need more clearance.)

10-07-2013, 10:54 PM
(10-07-2013 07:36 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 06:16 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  

If building materials could be trucked in, if we could drive there, and have a parking space on our land, we would.

Yes indeed, you would most certainly be able to drive with ease through all of the trails in the video. However, the bits of the trail filmed are by far the nicest parts of said trail. The other mile or so to the 3 season road is VERY rough. Rumor has it a cottager brought a mini excavator through to make that trail and service his cottage 25 years ago. There has not been a vehicle over the trail (other than an ATV) since.

With a years work or so, I could fix up the trail to point of being able to a 4x4 through, but I am completely opposed to that. It would only encourage others to do the same. We bought the property specifically because it was NOT road accessible.

If I had a road, then people could drive to my house. Keeping the house a mile off the road acts as a douchebag filter, gives me piece of mind, and provides a sense of isolation that works well with our business model.

Also, I hate reliance on fossil fuels, and prefer the silence, freedom, and reliability of my canoe and feet.

...That having been said, you are welcome to try to drive in anytime you'd like.
(get a big lift kit installed first, you'll need more clearance.)

I got you, I wouldn't want yahoo's in 4x4's to have access to my place. Hearing motors in the woods is annoying to say the least, especially if the purpose is to get away from it all. My old ranger, good snow and beater work truck, I put as little $ into it as possible. If I spend any $ on a truck, it will be for an old basic truck, non-electronic pre-computer era. Lift kits and all that 4x4 bling, not my style... Unless it one of these vans! lol Still, it's a little over the top. Suspect one could live out of one of these and have some fun. $$$$$ and fuel hog. :(

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

10-26-2013, 03:02 PM
[Image: 1384849_253544624799694_797179490_n.jpg?...be6ed74b92]

[Image: 1374345_253540391466784_2140596028_n.jpg]

Things are buzzing right along. We have the siding on the two side of the house that are the most exposed to the weather. I will resume siding after the stove is built. Right now we are focusing on the stove 110%, as the snow started flying last week, and night time temps are rarely above zero.

We have all the parts and tools and tonnes of clay and sand sitting in our yard, waiting to be put together once we return with several sheets of metal concrete cage to lay the slab on.

Things have got so cold, we broke down and bought an infra-red propane space heater for the interim, to help dry the clay out a bit more.

10-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Once again, Looking Good!!!

Looks like the wrap was removed off the house before siding...vapor barrier?

I don't know.......does fire in new clay stove cure it correctly or cause it to crack prematurely? Does it need a couple of weeks for moisture to release? If so....propane bottles could add up...

Maybe consider a portable lightweight wood/tent stove while your building the main stove? Justify the purchase......It can double as a heat source for your first guest cabin? or (back-up heat) :) Suspect it would help make clay easier to work and help the cure rate on both concrete/clay.

just a thought fwiw...

http://www.westernwalltents.com/catalog/...x&cPath=24

Good Luck!

10-26-2013, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 10:28 PM by mcetcher.)
(10-26-2013 08:56 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Once again, Looking Good!!!

I don't know.......does fire in new clay stove cure it correctly or cause it to crack prematurely? Does it need a couple of weeks for moisture to release? If so....propane bottles could add up...

Maybe consider a portable lightweight wood/tent stove while your building the main stove? Justify the purchase......It can double as a heat source for your first guest cabin? or (back-up heat) :) Suspect it would help make clay easier to work and help the cure rate on both concrete/clay.

just a thought fwiw...

Good Luck!

No, the white tarp under the house is some yet to be used vapor barrier. The house wrap was not removed. The siding was put over the house wrap. Vapor barrier was used on the inside.

Firing the stove will cure the clay correctly in about a weeks time. The heater is for drying the clay for sifting in order to make a good clay slip. fire in a new clay stove is not an issue. form clay, add heat!

The heater I bought will operate for 78 hrs on 20 lbs of propane. So, add up, yes; but I am happy to spend $100 on propane for the next two weeks or so. Also, I have a portable wood stove (for hot tenting) that I can use inside, venting the stack out of a home made insert for a sliding window. ....purchase justified!

10-27-2013, 10:01 AM
(10-26-2013 10:26 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  
(10-26-2013 08:56 PM)JPMsecretagent Wrote:  Once again, Looking Good!!!

just a thought fwiw...

Good Luck!

No, the white tarp under the house is some yet to be used vapor barrier. The house wrap was not removed. The siding was put over the house wrap. Vapor barrier was used on the inside.

Firing the stove will cure the clay correctly in about a weeks time. The heater is for drying the clay for sifting in order to make a good clay slip. fire in a new clay stove is not an issue. form clay, add heat!

The heater I bought will operate for 78 hrs on 20 lbs of propane. So, add up, yes; but I am happy to spend $100 on propane for the next two weeks or so. Also, I have a portable wood stove (for hot tenting) that I can use inside, venting the stack out of a home made insert for a sliding window. ....purchase justified!

Pic's with wrap on the ground and not on the house....... scratching my mellon, curious. Thought maybe an ancient Canadian Cabin Building Secret?

3 days heat on 20lbs sounds great. Few years ago I made the mistake of buying a big China made Mr Heater propane heater "advertised" as ventless. Reading the small print it required venting, needless to say I was pissed, returned the pos. lol The thing used fuel like pouring water trough a fish net.

Look forward to seeing the Rocket Stove progress! I presume it will be used - designed for cooking and heat?

11-11-2013, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 10:53 PM by mcetcher.)

Also:

Hey, how about BTC trading at 360 CAD?

Boy do I ever feel like a "Bozo" ...not.

How is everyone's silver doing?

11-12-2013, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 05:39 AM by People4People.)
Smile Living The Dream Away From The Rat Race!
(11-11-2013 10:50 PM)mcetcher Wrote:  Also:

Hey, how about BTC trading at 360 CAD?

Boy do I ever feel like a "Bozo" ...not.

How is everyone's silver doing?

November 12, 2013

Can't wait to see how the finished product works. Everything looking good so far. How about mail, how often and how far do you have to go to get it?

What are you doing to keep the water from freezing?

Any accumulation of snow yet?

BTC on the hacking block!

Tech More: Bitcoin
18-Year-Old Reports $1 Million Bitcoin Theft From 'Bank' He Controlled — And Says He Can't Call The Cops

An 18-year-old Australian says that he has had $1 million in Bitcoin stolen from the Bitcoin "bank" he was running, but he cannot go to the police because he worries that giving authorities the keys to investigate the case is the same as giving them control of the money itself, according to ABC Australia.

The man ran a Bitcoin bank called Tradefortress.

Bitcoin transactions cannot be reversed if the receiving party doesn't agree to the refund. ABC noted:

The bitcoin transaction trail is designed to...

http://www.businessinsider.com/1-million...ia-2013-11

Metals still have my vote!

People4People, proud member of Realist News since May 2011.
11-12-2013, 10:18 AM
(11-12-2013 03:19 AM)People4People Wrote:  November 12, 2013

Can't wait to see how the finished product works. Everything looking good so far. How about mail, how often and how far do you have to go to get it?

What are you doing to keep the water from freezing?

Any accumulation of snow yet?

I can't wait to see how the finished product looks too! More so, can't wait to feel how it cooks.

No mail. We literally have no address, nor do we have a postal box in town ( 20 miles east ).

The house stays above freezing ( for now ) so nothing is done to the water.

No snow yet. We have had a VERY mild fall so far. Rain is still forecast well into next week. Hopefully the heater is rocketing by then.

...metals still have my vote too, I just love busting the balls of all the BTC haters cough*Jsnip*cough who called me crazy for investing in BTC at 90 and 150, while they bought silver at 35. LOL!

I know this is by no means the LAST laugh, but I am having a bit of a chuckle right now.
...All in good fun.

Peace!

11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Nice!

It's big, put your mattress on it when finished!

Will using a pipe reducer somewhere in your design, from 8in - 6in increase flow-vacume, i.e create more and faster heat?

Having the ability to test both pipe sizes before mudding it in place an option? You can always recut the roof to 8in it 6in doesn't work.

Looks Good!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Small update on XINFIN XDC tokens Thornz 0 1,435 11-21-2017 01:59 PM
Last Post: Thornz
  Jim Comiskey Update- December 5th 2012 silversurfer 10 7,512 03-11-2017 10:44 AM
Last Post: silver surfer
  Update: Claim made for hydrogen 'wonder material' super-powerful rocket fuel etuHad4 1 2,937 02-27-2017 09:17 PM
Last Post: etuHad4
Photo IBM Just Released 5 Predictions About What Life Will Be Like In 2022 AdamAntium 0 2,190 01-25-2017 07:17 AM
Last Post: AdamAntium
  Update 12-2-16 IRS Requests Bitcoin Buyer Records in Broad Tax Evasion Case etuHad4 2 3,111 12-02-2016 11:14 PM
  Australian school boys recreate life-saving drug that was hicked in price!$750 for $2 etuHad4 0 2,288 12-02-2016 10:40 AM
Exclamation Planet X System Update No. 4 - YowUSA AdamAntium 0 2,509 11-11-2016 03:12 PM
Last Post: AdamAntium
  UPDATE 2:US Official: Hackers Targeted Election Systems Of 20 States "voter Fraud" etuHad4 0 1,383 09-30-2016 08:32 PM
  UPDATE: Computer Specialist Who Deleted Clinton Emails May Have Asked Reddit for Tips etuHad4 0 1,477 09-20-2016 01:10 AM
Brick Ethereum update & Bitcoin backed by gold cubes, neat! 2D4 2 1,834 06-25-2016 07:41 PM
Last Post: 2D4
  Venezuela - Update Thinker 5 2,738 06-14-2016 07:09 AM
Last Post: 2D4
  ATF Enforcement Act Introduced - UPDATE - DOJ database of Ammunition Owners Thinker 4 3,504 05-16-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: Thinker
  U.S. Pensions - Update Thinker 1 2,034 05-15-2016 07:38 AM
  George Soros: (Helping Nazis) "Was The Happiest Time of my Life" Thinker 2 1,710 03-14-2016 05:38 AM
  "Canadian Banking changes April 1, 2016" - Banking update on death of the dollar Thinker 3 3,569 03-11-2016 06:02 AM
  US Senate Report: Chemtrails Are Real & Killing Us - UPDATE Thinker 1 2,650 03-02-2016 03:15 PM
  Going from Soldier to Cop to President for Life - What it takes to get there Thinker 2 1,528 01-30-2016 05:33 PM
  REALIST NEWS - Foreclosure Update - Jsnip4 gets offer to walk away Thinker 5 4,006 11-23-2015 12:20 AM
Last Post: Norm
  John Titor's N-Day prophecy Update Sempi 0 1,920 11-08-2015 11:46 PM
Last Post: Sempi
Exclamation Planet X System Update for November 2015 No. 1 - Major Update No. 3 AdamAntium 2 3,205 11-06-2015 11:24 AM
Last Post: HG Spacetime