Announcments
  • REALIST NEWS: Where you don't have to worry about drama. No Spam posts and STAY ON TOPIC. This is an important news website.

When posting content located on some other website, please post no more than 20% of their content and always provide a link. Also, Multiple forum handles/IDs are NOT permitted.
If you see a spam post please click the "Report" button on that specific post. Also, what I don't want on my forum is name calling and cussing at people or direct insults. Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
A Washboard is a Great Survival Prep Item
06-15-2013, 02:24 AM
A Washboard is a Great Survival Prep Item
Several years ago Ken purchased a washboard. “We’ll be able to keep clothes clean if the power goes out”, he said. It was made out of a wooden frame with it’s steel ridges to ‘wash’ your clothes on.

I don’t know if any of you have ever used a washboard or if you have one in your supplies. But, I would like to spout some washboard praises because shortly after we bought it, I got the opportunity to use the washboard.

Not long after the washboard became part of our home, we lost power when an old electrical transformer on a nearby telephone pole died. The power had been out for hours when finally two power company trucks with crews showed up to replace the transformer. It wasn’t to be a quick job and would probably take the rest of the day. Not to worry, it was a warm beautiful day.

Shortly after Ken and I ate lunch, he came inside from the mechanical work he was doing. I looked at him and asked him what he had gotten on his shirt. There were several black spots on his shirt. “Oh, honey, why don’t you change your shirt so I can start treating those stains?” I asked. He changed his shirt. A perfect opportunity to try out the new washboard.

Can I just tell you that I loved using the washboard? All it took was a little soap, a little water and a little scrubbing action on the washboard ridges! I was amazed at how little scrubbing action it took to get the shirt CLEAN. Having a few other dirty clothes waiting for laundry day, I decided to clean them too. The amount of time and the amount of scrubbing was minimal. I just squeezed the water out of the clothes and hung them out to dry.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-s...prep-item/

Only the Strong Survives
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Eco-Friendly Fabric Softeners And Dryer Sheets Pose Serious Health Hazards
Fabric softeners are meant to soften synthetic fabrics and reduce static cling. Most standard fabric softeners and dryer sheets contain noxious scents and chemicals such as quarternary ammonium compounds, which release toxic chemicals like formaldehyde into the environment. Formaldehyde causes a variety of serious allergic reactions including rashes, respiratory conditions and neurological disorders. Even eco-friendly fabric softeners are loaded with chemicals and fragrances that may cause a unacceptable reactions and may have a negative impact on your health.

Formaldehyde-free doesn’t mean safe

Although newer, “green”, products no longer include formaldehyde-containing chemicals, they are infused with other dangerous ingredients such as alpha-terpineol, camphor, benzyl acetatelimonene, ethyl acetate, pentane, benzyl alcohol, and chloroform. These products may help reduce static cling in your clothes, but at what cost? They also contribute to a long list of potential serious health problems ranging from nausea, vomiting, asthma, allergic skin reactions, liver and kidney disease, cancer and central nervous disorders, notes the Guide to Less Toxic Products, the website of the Environmental Health Association of Nova Scotia. Long-term use of fabric softeners and dryer sheets may contribute to chronic chemical over-exposure, building up slowly in the system, according to the US National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.

Allergic reactions

Use of laundry softeners may produce a:
https://www.jbbardot.com/eco-friendly-fa...-and-more/

Best substitute:

Fluff and Tumble Dryer Balls are a natural fabric softener you use in your dryer. They bounce around to naturally separate and create space between your laundry, allowing the hot dryer air to circulate better and soften fabrics. Made of 100% wool, they help reduce drying time, static cling and wrinkles, all naturally, without chemicals. Use them instead of fabric softener or dryer sheets and radically reduce chemicals in your home.
http://mindywright.norwex.biz/en_US/cust...Essentials

Thinker, proud member of Realist News since Nov 2013.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peanut butter - a superior survival food Fiat Facade 0 3,493 10-28-2014 10:46 AM
Last Post: Fiat Facade
  Sarajevo Survival Tools Arctic 0 4,264 10-04-2014 03:51 AM
Last Post: Arctic
  Internet Survival - Privacy/Security shane777 5 3,965 10-31-2013 03:09 PM
Last Post: shane777
Exclamation Urban Survival Skills: "If" Civil Order is Lost People4People 1 2,912 08-20-2013 02:14 PM
Last Post: People4People
Smile How to make a 100% natural survival shelter People4People 0 2,325 07-31-2013 10:25 PM
Exclamation Survival Fire Making Without Matches Or Lighter People4People 0 2,021 07-31-2013 09:44 PM
  My Survival Axe mcetcher 5 5,900 04-18-2013 11:54 PM
Last Post: mcetcher